Refreshing Ceviche with Shrimp
Have you heard of ceviche recipes with shrimp? Shrimp is one of the foods that can truly delight me and having recently been intrigued in the popular ‘raw food’diet, I have tried some raw food dishes out myself. The reason why raw food is all the rage these days is because of the notion that people were healthier in the ancient times due to the lack of carcinogens that could be attributed to food preparation, food preservation and cooking.
Raw food fans strongly believe that besides the breakdown of nutrients inherent in raw food products when they are cooked, many of today’s lifestyle diseases are due to cooking, preparing and preserving the food. Interestingly, many of the people who follow raw food theories are healthy, fit and glowing with health. This really made me think, especially since I am a stickler at sanitation and clean food preparation. Lost in thought regarding this health revolution, that is when I considered making some tasty ceviche recipes.
Shrimp is safe to be eaten raw due to the natural way that the vinegar kills microorganisms in seafood. It is so easy that it is one of my favorite shrimp recipes. For those who do not know, ceviche, which is sometimes spelled as seviche or cebiche, is a popular dish found in the seaside locales of Central and South America, and the Philippines. The dish is typically made from raw fresh fish marinated in lime, lemon, or any similar citrus juice, and then spiced with chilies. Salt, onions, cilantro, coriander, and pepper are also often added to the dish.
For my own take on ceviche, I like to use shrimp as my main ingredient. Although ceviche is typically raw, you might prefer to lightly pre-cook your shrimp for a minute for safety reasons. Shrimp turns from gray to pink when it is cooked, or indeed when it is ‘cooked’ by pouring citrus or vinegar over it, like when making ceviche, so you can actually see when it is done, and when it is ready to serve. When using fish to make ceviche, you can see it turn from glossy to matt, another indicator that the ceviche is ready.
- 1 lb peeled, deveined small or medium shrimp
- ¾ cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 4 quarts water with 2 tablespoons salt added
- 1 serrano chili (ribs and seeds removed, then minced)
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado in ½ inch chunks (optional)
- 1 peeled cucumber, in ½ inch chunks (optional)
- Bring the salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the shrimp to the pot and cook for 1 minute if small or 2 minutes if medium sized.
- Remove the shrimp and drain off excess water.
- Put them in a bowl filled with iced water to stop them cooking any further, then drain.
- If you prefer, you can omit the cooking entirely and start the recipe from this point.
- Slice the shrimp into ½ inch pieces.
- Put them in a bowl and mix in some lemon or lime juice.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Then, mix in the Serrano chili and the chopped red onions.
- Chill for another hour.
- Take out from the fridge then add cucumber and avocado (if using) and some cilantro.
- You can now serve it.
Ceviche recipes with shrimp are deliciously healthy and you will not stop at one serving because every mouthful is so tasty. This shrimp ceviche is a classic Mexican dish, also popular throughout Central and South America. The seafood combines with lime, chilies, cilantro and more, for an aromatic flavor with a hint of piquancy. Sometimes I like to add octopus or squid too. Serve this shrimp ceviche with crackers for scooping up all that sensational seafood flavor. You can serve it on lettuce leaves, in small portions as a snack or larger portions as a main dish. Ceviche is quick and easy to make, and so fragrant and flavorful.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)