Amazing Apple and Cheese Quesadillas
Cheese quesadillas are actually a Tex-Mex invention rather than an example of traditional Mexican desserts but the ingredients are all Mexican and this makes a nice dessert for someone who does not have a sweet tooth. Apple and cheese go well together and you can use whichever sort of cheese you want. You can use some cooked chicken in this recipe if you want it to be a savory recipe rather than a Mexican dessert recipe. This recipe for a cheese quesadilla is simple to make and you just need to use a skillet. You can make this apple and cheese quesadilla recipe in minutes.
The definition of a quesadilla is cheese sandwiched between 2 tortillas (or 1 tortilla folded in half) and then cooked on the stove until the cheese melts. That is the simplest form of quesadilla, but there are many varieties. Not only can you choose from different types of tortillas and cheese, but you can also experiment with your filling. Cheese and apple pair particularly well, because the warm, creamy taste of the cheese contrasts so nicely with the tart apple flavor, to offer a nice balance.
You can use any kind of apples you wish, but Granny Smiths offer an especially great tart tang, so consider those. You could even use pear instead of apple, but make sure it is slightly under-ripe so you can cut uniform slices. Keep the slices nice and thin, for the best results. A mandoline slicer is a great gadget to have in the kitchen, and if you have one of those you will be able to cut really fine slices which work well in this recipe. Something else you might like to try is using pineapple chunks instead of the apple. Those are sweet rather than tart but also work beautifully with the flavor of the cheese.
Making these could not be simpler. Once you have gathered your tortillas, salsa, apples, and cheese, it is time to get started. Warm up the tortilla in a dry skillet. A nonstick one is your best choice. Next it is time to add the cheese and keep cooking until it melts, then you can add the fruit. A spoonful of salsa is also very nice here (although give it a miss if you are using our pineapple suggestion) and you can choose either mild, medium or spicy tomato salsa, as you prefer, or even try mango salsa or another fruity variety.
- 4 flour tortillas, 8 inch diameter
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ lb Monterey Jack cheese or similar, sliced
- Heat a dry, nonstick skillet over a medium heat and put a tortilla on it.
- Flip it a couple of times with a spatula.
- Leave it in the pan, heating until air pockets form and bits of the tortilla start to puff up.
- Flip it again.
- Put the cheese slices over half the tortilla, half an inch from the edge.
- Fold it in half like an omelet and press it down with a spatula.
- Turn the heat down to medium and, when the cheese has melted, open the quesadilla and add the apple and salsa.
- Fold it back again and repeat with the other tortillas, then serve the quesadillas warm.
Quesadillas are always good, but adding apple slices and salsa offers additional appeal. These apple, cheese and salsa tortilla snacks are ideal for any meal – breakfast, lunch or even dinner – and they are easy to prepare. In the picture you can see how golden brown and appetizing they look. We are serving some extra salsa on the side, but you might like to serve some pico de gallo, with big chunks of avocado, if you want more veggies on the plate, or chiles rellenos (stuffed chili peppers) perhaps, if you are in the mood for a special cheese feast.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119454 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117446 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63257 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45797 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34662 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23459 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18985 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17718 Views)