Como Hacer Quesadillas De Flor De Calabaza
Quesadillas are a popular snack in Mexico which have long since crossed over and become a part of the American culinary landscape. They are also one of those recipes which offers a nearly infinite number of possibilities. The basics are tortillas (either corn or flour tortillas are great) and cheese. From there almost any ingredient can be added and there are a lot of delicious possibilities.
This recipe is a popular regional variation on quesadillas, which you may be familiar with already if you live in a city where there are many Mexican immigrants who hail from the state of Michoacán. Floras de calabaza are squash blossoms; these flowers are used in a variety of Mexican dishes, just as they are in certain parts of the United States. The blossoms are available canned in many Mexican markets, but fresh blossoms are always preferable if you can find them.
When summer squashes are in full swing in your garden, you can substitute the blossoms from zucchini or yellow crookneck squash in this recipe. In fact, any sort of squash blossom works well in this dish, whether summer or winter varieties. Their delicate flavor works beautifully with mild, creamy Oaxaca cheese in these fantastic quesadillas.
The tortillas are stuffed with cheese, blossoms and mushrooms, and then you are ready to fry them in oil in a skillet. There is usually no doubt when these are ready to serve because not only will you be able to see the tortilla begin to turn golden brown (well, unless you are using a rye tortilla like we did!) but you will notice the cheese beginning to melt and seep out of the side, and the cheese melting is the telltale sign your quesadillas are ready.
When cooking fish or steak, most chefs say never to use a spatula to press down because the meat will give up some of its juices, but this does not apply when making quesadillas, so press them down if you wish, to ensure a good seal with the hot skillet, and also to ensure the quesadillas are nice and compact, so they hold together better when served.
- 4 large flour tortillas (or if you prefer, 12 corn tortillas)
- 24 fresh blossoms or one 10-ounce can of floras de calabaza
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups Oaxaca cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp neutral flavored vegetable oil (canola is best)
- Salsa, avocado slices and lime wedges as condiments, to taste
- This is a very straightforward recipe.
- If you are using fresh blossoms, trim off the bottoms and remove the stamens (the pollen-bearing parts on the inside of the flower).
- Place ½ cup of grated cheese in each tortilla, then the blossoms and mushrooms followed by the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Heat oil to medium-high heat in a skillet and fry each quesadilla until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Cut into wedges, serve at once with salsa, avocados, and lime wedges.
If you are wondering como hacer quesadillas de flor de calabaza, or how to make pumpkin flower quesadillas, as you would say in English, this is a delightful recipe to follow. Pumpkin flowers, cheese and mushrooms are used to fill the tasty tortillas. You do not have to use a rye tortilla like in the picture. You can use any type of tortilla you like. A lot of people have never tasted squash flowers before so you will enjoy trying a new flavor and your family will enjoy these simple yet delicious tortillas also.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (114994 Views)
- Home (114601 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61680 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44723 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33409 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29440 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23206 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22413 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17845 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15699 Views)