Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla
Quesadillas don’t always have to have one, meat and two, be heavy. This Mexicali recipe is the perfect hot weather or light lunchtime meal it is kind of like a BLT in fact knowing me I am surprised I didn’t put bacon in it. Not this time although I think bacon makes pretty much everything better. Well this time I restrained myself and held back for one big reason I did not want to offend a whole nation and culture by polluting their beloved Margarita pizza recipe with extra ingredients even if in retrospect it might be a new idea down the line.
I had given you a couple of Mexicali taco recipes to get this category rolling and it was starting to seem like taco night so I wanted a fresh take on today’s recipe and this one seemed to fit the bill very nicely. It is not a typical quesadilla and is more like an open-ended wrap so don’t cook these long just a bit of crispness you are looking for an almost uncooked tortilla type of presentation as the fresh ingredients do well in their natural state so no need to cook this to death and try and melt the cheese like in a normal quesadilla.
So in that respect it is more like a BLT sandwich with the bread just lightly grilled and the inside nice and cool and fresh tasting. Mhh the idea of that BLT quesadilla keeps surfacing now I’m thinking lettuce might have been nice but no bacon, no lettuce the tomatoes get plenty of good stuff in the form of the basil and the cheese. Now I say use feta or goat it is really a preference goat would be good for people with lactose issues so there is that point otherwise it is merely a matter of taste.
Now I know true Margarita pizza would use mozzarella cheese and if you want that could be used but I think the sharpness and freshness of the other two are better in this application that is why I suggested them but feel free if this violates some international treat or something to use the mozzarella. If you like quesadillas but don’t like the heaviness of the ones with meat or it is just too much bother to assemble all that into one this is just a few ingredients and is supper quick to through together at the last minute.
- 6 vine ripened or garden fresh tomatoes, cut in ¼ slices
- 6 flour tortillas, 10 inch size
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 ounces either goat or feta cheese crumbled
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking as needed
- Wash and dry the sweet basil and chop it fine.
- Take one of the tortillas and lay it on a diner plate and lay several tomato slices on one half to cover most of it.
- Sprinkle the chopped basil to your liking.
- Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste and then sprinkle either the goat or feta cheese on top and fold the tortilla in half and gently press to close it over the bottom side.
- In a skillet at least 12 inches place some olive oil in the pan and heat it to medium.
- With two spatulas lower the tortilla into the pan and fry until lightly browned and then in the same manner carful flip it and brown the second side. You only want these lightly browned for a bit of flavor not cooked as well as normal quesadillas you are looking for a fresh taste here not overly cooked.
- Remove to a cutting board and with a sharp knife quarter them and serve.
- This is a play on the famous Italian Margarita pizza dish.
If you have been around pizza recipes for even a short time you have probably heard of the famous Italian Margarita pizza dish. This is a loved version of Italian pizza made in the honor of queen Margarita and is served in both American and Italian pizzerias. In the same fame as that I have fused this idea with a Mexicali quesadilla that uses this famous pizza recipe as its inspiration and blends that wonderful green, white and red colors of both the Mexican and Italian flags into a fresh quesadilla recipe that is perfect for when the tomatoes are nice and vine rip in the garden and the weather is still warm as this makes a very light lunchtime meal.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119456 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117462 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63262 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45802 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34667 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30405 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24143 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23461 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18993 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17728 Views)