Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats
When I first saw the finial picture for this dish it reminded me of one of those cute mom moments we all have when our children were young (if yours are still are it will happen be patient) and it happened one night when my husband was in the kitchen creating something out of stuff from the pantry and some ground meat we had on hand for a quick dinner for myself and the first two boys. Dakota had to be all of maybe four at the time and little did he know he was about to make family meal time history.
See we had a rule about when myself or dad would create something completely new in the kitchen that the kids got to name it if it was an unkown recipe or dad original which he is known for. Well here’s what went into the soon to be named dish. Some ground meat fried up until browned a jar a salsa, a can of B&M onion and brown sugar baked beans a package of taco seasoning and about half a bunch of celery. Now this dish I will tell you was one of those that taste really great but we all admitted feel short in the looks department.
Now I don’t remember Zak’s name he came up with but Dakota took one look at this and said Yuck before ever even trying it, he did and loved it although it was a bit spice for them and subsequent meals would have kid friendly modifications. Such as losing the salsa and switching to cumin, coriander, and chili powder oh and granulated garlic too. It was so cute when Dakota said Yuck of all the names that meal got that was what stuck. Now imaging me as a mom in the recipe business having to explain that one so the recipe never made it to one of my sites but went on to become a family favorite. I mean those wonderful Mexican spices and with the sweet of the baked beans it was just such a natural pairing.
Well I have been quiet for a few days sorry health seems to get in the way of work sometimes but I wanted to get this out today as it is finally here Cinco de Mayo 2016. From all of us here at Recipe Publishing Network we want to wish each and every one of you a happy 5th of May. I hope you have big food plans for dinner tonight to celebrate this wonderful Mexican holiday in style. Heck maybe even this recipe would be the one for you it is sure to please the guys of the house with all that meat. So, from me and the rest of my staff here we wish you a Happy Cinco de Mayo to you and your family and friends.
- 1 pound ground beef, drained
- 1 pound ground pork drained,
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Spice Islands Premium Taco Seasoning with Chipotle (per directions)
- Fresh cilantro leaves to garnish, chopped
- 12 flour tortillas
- Start by draining and rinsing the black beans let all the water run out of them.
- In a skillet heat it to medium and add a bit of your favorite cooking oil and sauté the onions until tender and slightly browned then add the garlic and toast it for a few minutes then remove to a small bowl and turn the heat up to medium high and add the two ground meats and mixing and breaking it up fry it until it is totally browned.
- Drain all the grease from the meat with a colander and then return it to the pan with the onions, black beans, and garlic and add the taco seasoning per the package directions and finish with that.
- When done turn off heat and remove the pan from the burner.
- Take your tortillas and spoon ample portions of the meat mixture in the middle of each tortilla and then sprinkle with some of the cilantro leaves then fold in half and serve repeat for the remaining tortillas until all are used.
Ok one of the things I love about Mexican inspired cuisine is that many of the recipes are very simple and straightforward to make and feature just a handful of ingredients. This is just such a recipe it seems like it has more than it really does from a taste perspective and although I don’t normally recommend pre-made mixes I wanted to keep this taco recipe as simple as possible and not clutter up the ingredient list with a ton of spices and herbs in order to get a great result on the other side. Feel free to substitute your favorite taco seasoning for my suggestion it is really just a matter of personal preference and I always suggest doing what you like it is after all your dinner not mine.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119390 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117332 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63183 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45736 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34590 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30345 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24100 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23408 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18922 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17601 Views)