The Importance of Side Dishes
Not every dish requires a side dish. In fact some are meals in themselves, so you might have something with a starch (potatoes or rice perhaps), a protein (chicken, tofu or beef) and also vegetables. Such a dish could be served with cornbread if you want but you could also serve it just as it is. If you were to prepare a marinated pork dish or cook some chicken Mexican style, you might be wondering what to serve alongside it, and there is where side dishes come in.
Cornbread is always popular. While tortillas are often served alongside Mexican meals, cornbread is wonderful with stews because it contrasts so well. You get the sweet fluffy texture of the cornbread with the savory taste of the stew, so the two just pair nicely. Other side dishes include vegetable, cheese and egg sides.
Some can even double as appetizers. Take stuffed chili peppers for example. These would be nice as an appetizer but they would also work served alongside barbequed chicken. Stuff the chilies with Mexican cheese if you wish, or with Mexican rice, then serve them hot and fresh from the oven.
Salads and More
A side dish might be chilled and you might choose to serve a Mexican salad alongside the main meal. This could be a layered salad or it could be a salad featuring Mexican fruit like the sapote or maybe pineapple or shredded coconut. There is certainly plenty of scope with salads.
Hot vegetable side dishes also work well and there are plenty of Mexican recipes for those. Find out how to make guacamole, salsa or pico de gallo. Although those can be served as a dip, sauce or spread, you can still serve them as a side dish. Pico de gallo is like salsa but without all the juice, and that is very nice served alongside a chicken taco or with a beef burrito.
Chipotle grilled corn is also a very nice side dish if you wish to stick to the Mexican theme. Mexican cooks love to use fresh seasonal produce so if you can pick up a few ears of corn from your local farmers’ market you can make this tasty side. Mexican rice, which is also known as Spanish rice, makes a filling, hearty side dish too.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119453 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117441 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63254 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45794 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34657 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23455 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17717 Views)