Beef and Rice Enchilada Casserole
Enchiladas have long been a favorite of Mexican and Tex-Mex food fans for a long time and is it any wonder why. They combine so many different tastes into one easy to eat meal that brings out some of what on this side of the border we love most. In my recipe I try to represent this flavor and combination like you were eating a full Mexican meal it has all the key elements of a full Mexican meal, it has your refried beans, rice a major staple in much of the world loads of cheese and of course ground beef to give it a full meal feel.
Whenever I set out to make one of these recipes for you I keep my guys in mind and try to think like the mom of four plus one can’t forget the hubby. Sorry I can’t get away from it not that I would even if I could I love all my guys and I hope it shows in what I present to you, meals that will make a house of guys happy. Now for the ladies out there feel free to substitute any thing for a lighter version like veggie refried beans instead of the full octane ones.
Now to serve this dish I would make a few after thought suggestions like maybe a bit of your favorite salsa or even a dollop of sour cream I mean who doesn’t love the cooling effect of sour cream on the spiciness of Mexican cuisine. You could also serve this with your favorite tortilla chips or even make some homemade ones they are really fairly easy to make with a bag of flour or better yet corn tortillas. Simply cut them into triangle bit sized chips heat some of your favorite frying oil or lard and fry them for a few minute and that is it.
You really will be surprised how much nice fresh warm homemade chips are with this. It makes a nice dip in a way instead of having to employee a fork to do all the work. Now for some out there this maybe a bit too hot or others a bit too mild you can alter the heat by the enchilada sauce you chose to use turn up or down the sauce heat to your personal preference and the dish will be either milder or hotter to your personal heat threshold. I personally like to keep it a bit on the mild side for the kids and then let my husband turn up his own heat with a bit of diced jalapeños. It is nicer to have to turn it up as it is hard to turn it down if it has too much for the little guys. I hope I have been showing you in this category there is a lot of flexibility to Mexican cuisine and don’t be afraid to try new combinations.
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 8 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2- 10 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 1- 28 oz. can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cans regular refried beans
- 6cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet add some olive oil to fry the onions, and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Turn the heat up a bit and add the ground chuck and brown completely, when fully browned transfer to a colander to drain off as much grease as possible.
- In a large glass bowl blend the ground meat, onions, garlic, rice, refried beans, tomatoes, enchilada sauce and half the cheese and blend well.
- In a large casserole dish spread the mixture evenly and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minute or until cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
Enchiladas are a much loved recipe on both sides of the border they are filling and have so much of what we love of Mexican food in them. They are incredibly versatile and can be made so many different ways and with or without many different kinds of meat or none at all. In this recipe we combine some favorite enchilada ingredients into a casserole that is a family meal and then some. If you have guys like me this is a great mid week meal to serve as they are sure to be satisfied.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117392 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34626 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17660 Views)