A Great Chalupa Shell Recipe
Learning how to make chalupas is a great idea if you want to make authentic Mexican food. So, what is a chalupa exactly? Chalupas are popular in Mexico’s south central states, including Oaxaca, Guerrero, and Puebla. To make a chalupa, you just need three ingredients and they are really simple to prepare. This flour, water, and salt mixture can be molded into a cup shape with a chalupa mold or you can use a tortilla press. Failing that, just heat them and they will curl up anyway. The chalupa forms an edible shell to put the fillings in. There are different chalupa recipes, but this is how to make the basic chalupa shell.
Chalupa recipes might contain pork, chilies, salsa, chicken, fish, onion and other Mexican ingredients. You can fill your chalupas with any filling you happen to like or use them as an alternative to tortilla chips. Garnachas and sopes are similar to chalupas, although sopes tend to be soft and thick. Chalupas are named after the canoe-like boat they look like.
Perhaps you have tried Taco Bell’s chalupa recipes with chicken, bacon, ground meat, or steak. Homemade chalupa recipes are, of course, much nicer, and making your own chalupas is so simple.
A Simple Recipe
You only need 3 ingredients to make this recipe – flour, water and salt. You just need to combine these ingredients until you have a dough and then knead it and let it rest. You can then make the chalupa shapes, using a tortilla press if you have one or a rolling pin if you do not. They are quick and easy to cook too, so ensure you have your filling ready to add as soon as your chalupa shells are done.
Even though you can buy chalupa shells, it is still worth making your own because you will get a fresher flavor and, of course, this is such a quick and simple recipe. If you are looking for easy weekday recipes consider making chalupas for the family. You have plenty of choice when it comes to fillings and toppings.
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 cup warm water
- Pinch of salt
- Mix everything together in a bowl with a wooden spoon until it forms a dough.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it for 4 minutes until it loses its stickiness.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, and then roll it out to a 6 inch round.
- You might want to use a tortilla press if you have one or a 6 inch round object such as a pan to cut with.
- Wrap each round around a mold and deep fry them.
- Alternatively, if you do not have a chalupa mold, you can heat the tortillas for a minute on each side over a medium hot heat in a large frying pan.
- Not many people have the tools to make this authentic chalupa shell recipe but if you do, this is how it is done!
Chalupa shells are not difficult to make from scratch and if you are interested in Mexican recipes this is certainly one worth making. All you need are 3 ingredients. Stuff the chalupa shells with your favorite Mexican filling, perhaps pinto beans and chicken in the picture, or maybe pork, shrimp or fish. Actually the possibilities are endless, so anything you normally have in a burrito, taco or fajita would work here. Perhaps you usually buy your chalupa shells, but bookmark this recipe and try making them yourself next time. You will be pleased with the fresh-tasting results.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Warm Mexican Cinnamon Fritters April 18, 2015
- 6 Avenues of Mexican Desserts to Explore April 18, 2015
- Quick and Easy Tortilla Press Tortillas April 17, 2015
- 6 Easy Steps to Cut Peppers for Mexican Food April 17, 2015
- 8 Deliciously Different Mexican Foods You Must Try April 16, 2015
- Unusual Vanilla Profiteroles with Raspberries April 16, 2015
- Succulent Shrimp Tacos with Mango April 15, 2015
- 6 Kinds of Tacos You’ll Go Loco For April 15, 2015
- 8 Simple Step Breakfast Burrito April 14, 2015
- Breakfast Burrito with Bacon and Potato April 14, 2015
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (114894 Views)
- Home (114220 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61602 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44669 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33343 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29376 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23134 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22354 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17792 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15614 Views)