A Great Chalupa Shell Recipe
Learning how to make chalupas is a great idea if you want to make authentic Mexican food. So, what is a chalupa exactly? Chalupas are popular in Mexico’s south central states, including Oaxaca, Guerrero, and Puebla. To make a chalupa, you just need three ingredients and they are really simple to prepare. This flour, water, and salt mixture can be molded into a cup shape with a chalupa mold or you can use a tortilla press. Failing that, just heat them and they will curl up anyway. The chalupa forms an edible shell to put the fillings in. There are different chalupa recipes, but this is how to make the basic chalupa shell.
Chalupa recipes might contain pork, chilies, salsa, chicken, fish, onion and other Mexican ingredients. You can fill your chalupas with any filling you happen to like or use them as an alternative to tortilla chips. Garnachas and sopes are similar to chalupas, although sopes tend to be soft and thick. Chalupas are named after the canoe-like boat they look like.
Perhaps you have tried Taco Bell’s chalupa recipes with chicken, bacon, ground meat, or steak. Homemade chalupa recipes are, of course, much nicer, and making your own chalupas is so simple.
A Simple Recipe
You only need 3 ingredients to make this recipe – flour, water and salt. You just need to combine these ingredients until you have a dough and then knead it and let it rest. You can then make the chalupa shapes, using a tortilla press if you have one or a rolling pin if you do not. They are quick and easy to cook too, so ensure you have your filling ready to add as soon as your chalupa shells are done.
Even though you can buy chalupa shells, it is still worth making your own because you will get a fresher flavor and, of course, this is such a quick and simple recipe. If you are looking for easy weekday recipes consider making chalupas for the family. You have plenty of choice when it comes to fillings and toppings.
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 cup warm water
- Pinch of salt
- Mix everything together in a bowl with a wooden spoon until it forms a dough.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it for 4 minutes until it loses its stickiness.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, and then roll it out to a 6 inch round.
- You might want to use a tortilla press if you have one or a 6 inch round object such as a pan to cut with.
- Wrap each round around a mold and deep fry them.
- Alternatively, if you do not have a chalupa mold, you can heat the tortillas for a minute on each side over a medium hot heat in a large frying pan.
- Not many people have the tools to make this authentic chalupa shell recipe but if you do, this is how it is done!
Chalupa shells are not difficult to make from scratch and if you are interested in Mexican recipes this is certainly one worth making. All you need are 3 ingredients. Stuff the chalupa shells with your favorite Mexican filling, perhaps pinto beans and chicken in the picture, or maybe pork, shrimp or fish. Actually the possibilities are endless, so anything you normally have in a burrito, taco or fajita would work here. Perhaps you usually buy your chalupa shells, but bookmark this recipe and try making them yourself next time. You will be pleased with the fresh-tasting results.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34622 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)