A Great Chalupa Shell Recipe
Learning how to make chalupas is a great idea if you want to make authentic Mexican food. So, what is a chalupa exactly? Chalupas are popular in Mexico’s south central states, including Oaxaca, Guerrero, and Puebla. To make a chalupa, you just need three ingredients and they are really simple to prepare. This flour, water, and salt mixture can be molded into a cup shape with a chalupa mold or you can use a tortilla press. Failing that, just heat them and they will curl up anyway. The chalupa forms an edible shell to put the fillings in. There are different chalupa recipes, but this is how to make the basic chalupa shell.
Chalupa recipes might contain pork, chilies, salsa, chicken, fish, onion and other Mexican ingredients. You can fill your chalupas with any filling you happen to like or use them as an alternative to tortilla chips. Garnachas and sopes are similar to chalupas, although sopes tend to be soft and thick. Chalupas are named after the canoe-like boat they look like.
Perhaps you have tried Taco Bell’s chalupa recipes with chicken, bacon, ground meat, or steak. Homemade chalupa recipes are, of course, much nicer, and making your own chalupas is so simple.
A Simple and Easy Chalupa Shell
Summary: coming soon
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 cup warm water
- Pinch of salt
- Mix everything together in a bowl with a wooden spoon until it forms a dough.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it for 4 minutes until it loses its stickiness.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, and then roll it out to a 6 inch round.
- You might want to use a tortilla press if you have one or a 6 inch round object such as a pan to cut with.
- Wrap each round around a mold and deep fry them.
- Alternatively, if you do not have a chalupa mold, you can heat the tortillas for a minute on each side over a medium hot heat in a large frying pan.
- Not many people have the tools to make this authentic chalupa shell recipe but if you do, this is how it is done!
Preparation time: 1 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipe With Cream Sauce
- Mexican Rice Pudding - Receta de Arroz con Leche
- One of the Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Classic Mexican Flan
- Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Traditional Recipe for Turkey Tamales
- Rich Mexican Beef Soup with Chipotle Chili
- Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
- Vanilla Mexican Sweet Bread
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe
- Home (70213 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (58443 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (39076 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (37079 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (27180 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (18433 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (14895 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (13992 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (11686 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (10779 Views)