Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo with Avocado
“Pico de gallo” is Spanish for “rooster’s beak” and it is a popular Mexican food. So, what is pico de gallo exactly? This tasty, fresh salad is usually made from onion, tomato, and chili. Lime juice, bell peppers, avocado, cucumber and cilantro are added to some pico de gallo recipes to give them a traditional Mexican flavor and because these different tastes work nicely with one another.
Pico de gallo is so easy to prepare and you can try a few different recipes for pico de gallo until you discover the one you enjoy the most. Each one is slightly different and some might contain avocado, fruit, or other tasty ingredients. The avocado in this one though works so well because its soft creaminess is wonderful with the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and other ingredients. It also looks very good.
The following pico de gallo recipe is the perfect combination of flavors and there is plenty of creamy avocado to contrast nicely. You can serve it with flour tortillas to make vegetarian wraps, nachos, or chips for dipping or as an accompaniment to grilled fish. Feel free to alter the Tabasco amount and make it milder or hotter.
The ingredients for pico de gallo, you will notice, are very similar to the ingredients used to make salsa, and that is because these 2 dishes have plenty in common, all apart from the texture because pico de gallo is a close cousin of salsa. It is just chunkier.
Rather than using a food processor or blender to puree the ingredients, you will be chopping or dicing them and then tossing them together. Try to get the cubes similar in size so it looks good. The cubes should be quite small, at least small enough so you can scoop the mixture up on a chip if you want to. The fresh produce combines with lime, garlic, cilantro and Tabasco for a spicy pico de gallo which is perfect served as a dip or as a side dish with meat, poultry or fish.
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon limejuice
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Parsley to garnish
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine everything in a medium bowl and toss.
- Put the pico de gallo in a serving bowl and garnish with parsley sprigs.
You can see in the picture how colorful and appetizing this authentic Mexican pico de gallo with avocado looks. Imagine dipping some bread or tortilla chips into that cool, creamy mixture. The flavor of this will definitely not let you down. Pico de gallo can be served alongside your favorite Mexican dishes, on a buffet table to go with anything else on there or even as an accompaniment for a salad or something similar. When it comes to easy Mexican recipes pico de gallo is one of the most easy Mexican recipes as well as one of the most flavorful and typically Mexican.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- Home (115325 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (115304 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61839 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44803 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33504 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29516 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23290 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22508 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17945 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15839 Views)