Cafe Red Onion Style Pineapple Salsa Recipe
Houston, Texas is home to a large number of restaurants, including plenty of Tex-Mex establishments. While many of these restaurants are well known locally and even outside of the Houston metropolitan area, there is one restaurant in particular which has managed to earn quite a reputation on the strength of one of their salsas.
One of the most popular items at Houston’s two Café Red Onion locations is the pineapple salsa, which visitors to the Red Onion have been enjoying for years. Using cilantro and a healthy dose of jalapeno to cut the sweetness of the pineapple, this is a well-balanced salsa, which has rightfully earned its fame.
This pineapple salsa recipe is a close approximation of the classic Café Red Onion pineapple salsa recipe. While the restaurant is not particularly interested in giving out their recipe, understandably enough, the following recipe should be close enough to curb those salsa cravings until you can make your next trip to Houston.
This pineapple salsa recipe is a natural fit with chips as well as with seafood, vegetable dishes and really, just about everything else too! For Houston residents, Café Red Onion pineapple salsa is a frequent craving; and even if you have never been to Texas, you will understand exactly why once you have tasted this recipe for yourself.
There is nothing quite like a well made pineapple salsa recipe; and there are few pineapple salsa recipes out there which are both as simple to prepare and as delicious as this one. Even though this recipe can result in a salsa which is a little on the spicy side, even people who are normally a little squeamish about hot peppers tend to love this salsa; the heat and the sweetness of this pineapple salsa balance each other wonderfully, making this a salsa which has an appeal to everyone. This salsa pairs perfectly with virtually any Mexican, South American, or Caribbean dish and deserves a try next time you have got some pineapple on hand.
- 2 cups canned or fresh chopped pineapple (if using canned, use some of the juice as well)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped finely
- ½ diced red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- Provided you have a food processor, this is an exceptionally easy salsa to prepare.
- Simply chop your ingredients and add them to the food processor, then give the salsa a few pulses until it is blended yet still chunky – you definitely do not want a puree here.
- After blending, refrigerate for a few hours and serve.
Pineapple salsa is tasty and versatile. In addition to the pineapple you just need red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime, and then you can whiz it in the food processor to get your desired consistency. Although it is possible to use canned pineapple, it is better to use the fresh kind if possible, to give a more authentic result. Mexican cooks always choose fresh produce over the canned kind, because the flavor is superior. Serve this as a dip for chips or crackers, or have it alongside chicken, tuna, swordfish, or another simple white protein.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119401 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63205 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34617 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23424 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17644 Views)