Chunky Pineapple Salsa
Pineapple is one of those fruits that has a lot of admirers and very few detractors. It is something, which just about everyone loves, but that most of us do not actually eat all that often. For the most part, people just do not know what to do with this sweet-tart tropical fruit other than to eat it fresh or include it in one of a relatively small number of dessert recipes.
While these are perfectly good uses for pineapple, it can also be the star of some great salsas, like this chunky pineapple salsa recipe. With sweet pineapple, the heat of jalapeno peppers and chili powder, the herbal zip of cilantro and black pepper and the tangy citrus flavor of fresh lime juice, this is a salsa, which gets you to stand up and take notice.
Better yet, it is a very easy salsa to make; even more so if you are using a food processor. Like any other salsa, though, it will taste better if you give it some time for the flavors to blend, but it is also easy to make this chunky pineapple salsa recipe ahead of time.
Choose fresh pineapple over the canned type if you want a more authentic tasting Mexican result. Canned pineapple does work but Mexican cooks would choose fresh, so go with that if you want a traditional result from this recipe. Tomatoes and onion, typical salsa ingredients, are combined with the pineapple, and then it is time to add cilantro, chili and lime to balance out the flavors.
If you are new to making salsa, and curious about how to balance out the spicy flavors with the sweet ones and neutral ones, it is best to dive right in and make a few different salsa recipes so you can discover just how simple this type of cuisine is, and how many types of salsa you can actually make with just a few ingredients and 5 or 10 minutes time.
- 1 cup pineapple (fresh or canned), cut into small (but not too small) pieces
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (adjust to taste)
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- salt, to taste
- This is an easy recipe to prepare and can be done very quickly. If you are using a food processor, simply add all of your ingredients (except for the salt) and pulse 3-4 times.
- Even if you are doing everything by hand, this chunky pineapple salsa can still be prepared in as little as 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before serving, if possible.
Pineapple salsa is lovely with pork, chicken or fish, and it is easy to make as well. Use canned pineapple or, for a fresher and more authentic result, grab yourself a fresh pineapple. The photo shows the salsa served with pork. Although apple is often the fruit of choice when it comes to pork side dishes, pineapple is also lovely here, especially since the salsa features lime, cilantro, and other Mexican flavors, and brings a south of the border appeal to the dinner plate. This is easy to make and you can tweak the consistency (anything from chunky and rustic to smooth and pureed) by pulsing it for longer in the food processor.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)