Cucumber Mango Salsa
Sometimes, you really can have it both ways. Take this cucumber mango salsa, for instance. In one fantastic dip, you get hot and cool, sweet and savory – it is a perfectly balanced combination of flavors in every bite.
This recipe is inspired by a cucumber mango salsa often eaten in Trinidad, where it usually accompanies seafood dishes – but it is equally good with your favorite tortilla chips or anything else that you like to have with salsa.
In the summer especially, this salsa recipe gives you everything you could ask for. A little relief from the heat with the cooling flavors of cucumber and mango and a respectable kick from jalapenos and fresh garlic. If you want to have your cake (or in this case, salsa) and eat it too, then this is one recipe your collection just is not complete without.
The first thing to do is gather all your ingredients and then you can get busy peeling, chopping and dicing until you have the right size pieces, and then all you need to do is combine them to make this delicious salsa. If harmony is what you are looking for, you have found it here, because the ingredients mix together beautifully, offering the right amount of contrast.
Enjoy the piquant with the mild, and the sweet with the spicy. You can have it all when you make this lovely salsa, and it is versatile enough not only to be served with meat or fish, but also to work with chips or crackers. You will find your own favorite ways to serve it and this is a recipe you will certainly want to make more than once.
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and chop the cucumber (seeding it as well if you prefer, though this step is optional – if you do not mind the seeds, then by all means leave them in). Dice the onion and chop the cilantro, jalapeno, and garlic and combine all of the above in a bowl.
- Add lime juice, stir, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate this cucumber mango salsa for at least 2 hours before serving and do not make too much, as much as you may want to.
- This recipe doesn’t keep well and is designed to be eaten within about a day of making it, so just whip up another batch if you want to have this delectable salsa again in the near future; and by the way, you almost certainly will want to once you’ve tried it.
Cucumber and mango salsa might sound unusual, and actually it is when compared to tomato based salsas, but unusual sometimes means great, and yes, this one is. The cool cucumber, sweet mango and spicy chilies blend amazingly, while the garlic, lime, cilantro, and garlic help to round out the flavor. In the picture the salsa is presented simply in a white bowl, so the colors in the salsa stand out against the stark whiteness of the porcelain. Serve it like this alongside your meal, or offer chips on the side. The flavor of the salsa will go great with pretty much anything.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63207 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34618 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17647 Views)