Delicious Green Tomato Salsa Recipe
Green tomato salsa is similar to tomatillo salsa; tomatillos are related to tomatoes, after all. However, you may not always have tomatillos on hand. Green tomatoes can be picked out of the garden as needed in the summer. Green tomatoes give you a similar texture and color to the salsa. The flavor is delicious, but slightly different from tomatillo salsa. Try this tasty recipe for yourself and see.
Make the most of your green tomato salsa and serve it with chips, grilled beef, or pork. The tart flavor tastes wonderful with the charred flavor from the grill. You can choose to make this a chunky salsa or a smoother salsa by the amount of time you process it. Of course, since the tomatoes are broiled, they get a delicious grilled flavor of their own. Charring them makes them really easy to peel, just like peppers.
You can spice up your salsa or tone it down as you wish by changing the amounts and types of peppers used in the salsa. Do not be afraid to experiment until you find just the right amount for your taste. You can make a fabulous mild salsa that you can eat with anything, or you can really fire it up and scorch your taste buds. Do not forget to refrigerate any leftover salsa for later. While this recipe is at its best when fresh, it is still very nice for a day or two. Be sure to cover it so it stays as fresh as possible.
You do not need many different ingredients to make this salsa, and that is often the mark of a good salsa, in that the main ingredients offer fresh flavors which shine clearly in every mouthful, and you will be able to taste every single ingredient in this eclectic salsa recipe, especially the green tomatoes which offer a lovely taste.
Onion features in many salsa recipes and you will find it in this one too, along with chili peppers which are also a typical ingredient although some people prefer their salsa mild. Take your pick from jalapeño or Serrano peppers when making this, depending which you can get. The cilantro adds a typical Mexican flavor as well as an attractive splash of green, and the gentle aromatic cilantro also contrasts well with the bolder chili pepper taste.
- 1 pound green tomatoes
- 2 to 3 jalapeno or Serrano peppers
- ½ medium onion, chopped, soaked for 5 minutes in cold water, drained, rinsed and drained again on paper towels
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ to ½ cup water, as necessary
- Preheat the broiler. Cover a baking sheet with foil and place the green tomatoes on the sheet, stem side down. Place the pan under the broiler about 2 inches from the heat source. Broil 2 to 5 minutes, until the tomatoes are charred. Turn the tomatoes over with tongs and broil for 2 to 5 more minutes, until charred. Remove from heat and let them cool.
- Peel the skin from the tomatoes once they are cool enough to handle. Quarter the tomatoes and put into a food processor. Add the peppers, onion, salt, and cilantro and blend to your preferred texture.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Thin with water as needed. Let the salsa stand for at least half an hour to allow the flavors to combine.
Green tomato salsa makes a fantastic dip, dressing, sauce or accompaniment to your preferred south of the border meal. There are hundreds of salsa recipes, each one interesting and flavorful in its own way, but this is the one to choose if you really want to be able to taste all the ingredients in there and you fancy the typical flavor of green tomatoes boosted by aromatic cilantro as well as vibrant chili peppers. This tasty salsa is lovely whether you choose to serve it with chips, as a topping for a burger or taco, or alongside meat, chicken or fish.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119405 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117389 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30372 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)