Delicious Recipe for Avocado and Pomegranate Salsa
When you want something refreshing and delicious, sometimes you need to look at new combinations. Avocado and pomegranate is one of those combinations. The buttery avocado complements the bright flavor of the pomegranate seeds perfectly. This salsa is colorful and delicious. The contrast of the red pomegranate seeds with the soft green-yellow avocado pieces makes this dish a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. The roasted zucchini adds another layer of flavor to this interesting salsa. If you want to make a salsa that will make a great impression, you have to make avocado and pomegranate salsa.
Pomegranates are one of the oldest cultivated fruits in the world, yet to many of us they still seem exotic. The jewel-like red seeds are full of nutrition and flavor. You can find pomegranates in season from September through January. Use the flavor and color to really highlight your dishes.
Choose ripe avocados if you will use them right away. If you want them to keep for awhile, choose harder, unripe specimens. Keep them on the counter and they should ripen in a few days. Unlike most fruits, avocados do not ripen until they are picked. Once they are ripe, you can sometimes keep them another day or two in the refrigerator. When you cut them open, use a citrus juice like lemon or lime to prevent the avocado from browning. The lime juice in our recipe here takes care of that issue right away. Serve this delicious dish with chips, or spoon some over a cooked chicken breast or fish fillet.
To make this exciting salsa, you will need to roast the zucchini. Although zucchini can be eaten raw, and is sometimes added raw to salads, either finely diced or shredded, roasting it brings out its flavor better and also softens it, so do roast it for this recipe. If you have the grill on for something else, you can also grill it to add a smokier taste too.
None of the other ingredients in this salsa need to be cooked, so you can just prepare and chop them while the zucchini is cooling down, then toss everything together. Finally let the mixture sit in the refrigerator so the zucchini can cool completely and all the flavors in the salsa can blend and combine harmoniously.
- 2 zucchini, trimmed and cut into ½ inch diced pieces
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss the zucchini with oregano, olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Spread the seasoned zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet with a rim. Roast until golden brown and tender, tossing once. This takes about 25 minutes. Transfer the zucchini to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- Transfer the cooled zucchini to a medium bowl. Add your avocado, onion, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, lime juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Gently stir to combine the ingredients. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Serve with chips, pita bread or serve on chicken or fish fillets.
Zucchini, feta cheese and pomegranate salsa is perhaps not the first salsa recipe to come to mind when considering this tasty south of the border sauce or condiment, but these ingredients will combine to offer something which balances out the sweet with the savory, the tangy and piquant with the creamy and smooth, and it also offers plenty of vivid color and an amazing taste. The zucchini, pictured, needs to be roasted first, to tenderize it and bring out all the flavor, then it is combined with the other ingredients to result in this fabulous salsa. Serve this with chips or alongside fish or meat if you prefer.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)