Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
This is a very easy tomato-based salsa recipe that will go well with many different foods. For an interesting boneless chicken recipe that goes well with this, see our delicious chicken fajita recipe – this chicken dish with this salsa would make a great combination.
What is in It?
This salsa features more ingredients than some of our other salsas, but it is worth making because of the flavor it offers. You will probably already have all those ingredients anyway, or at least most of them. The onion, chili and tomatoes feature in most salsa recipes, while the oil, garlic and salt and black pepper feature in many. For an unusual touch, add the red wine vinegar, bell pepper and parsley.
Many salsas have cilantro as the fresh herb of choice, while some might feature oregano, but there are no hard and fixed rules, and you might want to try basil because that is always amazing with tomato. The following salsa recipe makes use of parsley though, which is also nice and offers a fabulous aromatic taste. If you are out of parsley though, don’t worry because basil, oregano or cilantro will also be perfect with this, or even a pinch of dried herbs if you cannot get fresh ones.
A Fresh-Tasting Salsa
One of the best things about homemade salsa is the degree of freshness it offers. Fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic, onion and parsley combine and the freshness is so apparent in the finished salsa. Even when salsa is allowed to sit in the refrigerator overnight to ‘mellow’ it will still taste very fresh, the following recipe even more so because there are various fresh ingredients included in there, not just the tomatoes and onion.
This is a cooked salsa, rather than a raw one, so you will need to fry the onion, chili, garlic, and pepper. The reason behind this is the cooking brings out the aromatic flavors even more and also softens those ingredients a bit. Splash in the vinegar and cook a bit more so some of it is absorbed and a little evaporates, then stir in the tomato, parsley, salt and black pepper, stir well and let the salsa cook for 15 minutes. In that time some of the liquid will evaporate and all the flavors will come together harmoniously.
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ green chili, finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 7 oz can chopped tomatoes
- ¼ small green bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small clove garlic
- To make the salsa, heat the oil and fry the onion, pepper, chili, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the salt, pepper, tomatoes, and parsley.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Cooked tomato salsa makes a change from the kind where you simply toss together raw diced ingredients, first because cooking breaks down the texture a little, yielding less crunch as well as a softer flavor from the onion, and it also gives the ingredients chance to blend together. Let the salsa simmer until it is thicker and the ingredients have softened, then let it cool and serve, perhaps with chips as you can see in the photo, or try some on burgers or hot dogs. Salsa is also nice served alongside your bacon and scrambled eggs in the morning, as a southern style breakfast .
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119405 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117389 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30372 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)