Fresh Mango Salsa Recipe
Not all salsas focus strictly on heat; there are many which are refreshing, cooling, or are centered on another flavor other than simply the searing heat of chili peppers. Mango salsas and other fruit-based salsas are often among these recipes.
Offering both the tropical fruit flavor of the mango and usually, a bracing dose of lime juice, mango salsa is a little different than your garden variety grocery store salsa, whether or not the salsa also contains tomato. However, the mango salsa recipe which follows is a little different, not only from standard issue tomato salsa but also from most of the mango salsas out there.
The secret weapon in this salsa recipe is an unusual one: cucumber. It is probably not something you would usually think of adding to salsa, but it makes for a wonderfully cooling change of pace and a great way to balance out the heat of the jalapeno peppers in the salsa. Along with the usual suspects (onion, cilantro and lime juice), the cucumber finds its place and makes this a harmonious, well balanced whole which you will love with chips or seafood.
If you find it hard to picture a salsa without tomatoes, then why not try making one of these fruity salsa recipes yourself and you will discover a brand new idea of what salsa is. Although the word ‘salsa’ is Spanish for ‘sauce’ and can therefore have pretty much ingredients, it usually means the spicy tomato version, or at least that is what we have come to expect, so it pays to learn a few different recipes for it, and then you have the best one to serve with fish, pork, chicken, beef, cheese, or whatever you want to serve.
It will probably seem strange making salsa without tomatoes, especially if that is the only kind you have tried, or made, but stepping outside of the box and trying something new is always rewarding, and take our word for it – this salsa is really tasty.
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced (adjust to taste if you like your salsa hotter)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (just about 1 cup)
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dealing with a mango can be a little bit of work if you have never done it before, but you will find it to be more than worth the effort once you taste the salsa you will end up with.
- The important thing to remember is that there is a large, flat seed inside of the mango, so cut accordingly in order to get the most from each fruit.
- However, this is a relatively easy fruit to peel, especially with a vegetable peeler.
- Since you have the peeler out already, go ahead and peel the cucumber and chop the onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Add all the ingredients aside from the salt and pepper to a bowl, stir, and season to taste.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving – this will ensure that your mango cucumber salsa has the best possible flavor.
Mango and cucumber salsa is an unusual choice but there are so many dishes to pair it with, such as chips (which pair with practically any salsa, as you know) or even fish or seafood. In the photo you can see a succulent piece of grilled pork garnished with this tasty salsa, because the sweetness of mango, the freshness of cucumber and the bite of jalapeño really go beautifully with pork, a light meat yet one offering its own distinctive taste. You could even make a double batch of this salsa and have it with pork tonight and the leftovers with chips tomorrow as a snack.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)