Fruit Salsa Recipe
Salsa comes in many forms beyond the tomato and jalapeno pepper salsa that is the most common type. There are green tomato and tomatillo salsas as well as salsas made from all varieties of fruit. For instance, there is this delicious fruit salsa recipe.
This recipe combines a variety of fruit along with the spicy zing of jalapeno. It is a great change of pace from tomato salsas and even kids and other people who are normally averse to hot peppers are likely to enjoy them in this setting.
Offering the sweetness of mango, blueberries, and kiwi along with the tartness of lime, pineapple and strawberries, this salsa pulls it all together with the heat of the peppers to create a salsa, which is perfect with any meal (even breakfast!)
So how exactly does this qualify as a salsa, you might be wondering, rather than a fruit salad? The answer is the jalapeño and lime juice. Both of these are typical salsa ingredients and, although the chili pepper is a savory ingredient instead of a sweet one, it works beautifully with the fruit because of the contrast in flavors.
Chili peppers combine with all kinds of ingredients you might not necessarily think to combine with them. Take chocolate for example. Although this is usually just eaten as it is or used as an ingredient to make cakes, cookies or other desserts, something else you can do is add it to chili con carne, or even feature chilies in your sweet chocolate recipes to add a special spicy kick, and that is the effect we are going for here, with this salsa – the chili contrasting with the sweetness of the fruit for a fabulous result.
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup diced pineapple (fresh is better, but canned will do in a pinch)
- 3 kiwi fruits, peeled and diced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon or lime
- A pinch of salt
- This wonderful fruit salsa recipe is no more difficult to make than any other fruit salad, which it strongly resembles.
- Simply wash, peel (where necessary), chop your fruit and jalapeno, and add to a large bowl.
- Zest the lime or lemon; either is fine here and adds to the fruit.
- Squeeze the lemon or lime over the fruit and add a pinch of salt.
- Stir well to combine and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
- This salsa is guaranteed to go fast, so you may want to make a little extra if you will be dining with guests – a fruit salsa recipe as mouthwatering as this one has a way of disappearing more quickly than you would think.
Fruit salsa often means mango or grapefruit is added to the tomato and onion mixture, but this recipe is totally different, in that all the ingredients bar the jalapeño are fruit. Consider this a salsa rather than a spiced fruit salad, because the addition of chili pepper and lime juice give it that distinctive Mexican flair, and chopping the fruit finely gives it a salsa consistency (or a pico de gallo texture if you want larger chunks and the liquid drained off) and makes it ideal as a dip or relish. Serve it in hollowed out citrus bowls like you can see in the picture, or spoon it over poached fish or grilled chicken.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117392 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63217 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34626 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17661 Views)