Green Tomato Salsa for Canning
If you grow tomatoes in your garden, then it is a familiar problem in the fall: a surplus of green tomatoes still on the vine, which are not going to fully ripen before the weather, gets too cold. As you may know, making salsa is one of the best ways to make sure that these tomatoes do not go to waste as autumn and winter approach.
If you have an especially large amount of tomatoes sitting out there in the garden, then you may want to consider making a very large batch of green tomato salsa and canning it for use over the winter and on through the spring. After all, it is hard to beat the luxury of having fresh green tomato salsa from your own garden long after the growing season has passed.
This recipe is an ideal way to preserve those not quite ripe tomatoes – and it is so delicious that you will be able to give yourself a big pat on the back for making something so good and so useful out of tomatoes, which would have otherwise gone to waste. Here is to thrift!
This recipe makes use of not only green tomatoes, the staple of the dish, but also onions, jalapeños, garlic, lime, and cilantro, ingredients found in the classic tomato salsa recipe. Besides those you will need green bell peppers, a splash of white vinegar, and a little oil, since you are going to be cooking these ingredients and you will not want them to stick to the pan.
Cooking the salsa brings out the natural sweetness in the ingredients and also softens and tenderizes the ingredients in the recipe. The finished salsa is then canned, so you can store it safely and pop open a can any time you want to enjoy the fresh and aromatic flavor of authentic Mexican salsa.
- 4 lbs green tomatoes, diced
- 6 white or yellow onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 3-4 jalapenos, diced (adjust quantity according to taste)
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp salt
- ½ cup white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar, if you prefer)
- Juice of 4 limes
- 3 tbsp cilantro, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- Chop all ingredients and add to a large saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat until the green tomatoes have softened and the onions and garlic are translucent, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- For the purposes of this recipe, we will assume you are already familiar with how to properly can your green tomato salsa, so proceed accordingly and continue to enjoy your salsa for months to come.
Homemade green tomato salsa may be canned to lock all those wonderful flavors in, and this recipe shows you how to make this fantastic dish. As well as the green tomatoes you will need the other ingredients found in typical salsa recipes like cilantro, chilies, onions, and garlic. These ingredients are combined to make a beautiful condiment which may be served with potatoes, like in this photo, as a topping for tacos or burgers, or with your favorite meat, poultry, fish or seafood. It goes beautifully with all kinds of dishes, and it is also very easy to prepare.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)