Green Tomato Salsa Verde Recipe
Sometimes the weather and your garden do not work together the way you might have hoped. You end up with a lot of green, unripe tomatoes on the vine even as the winter approaches and you know it is purely a matter of chance whether you manage to end up with a few more ripe tomatoes before the first frost or have your entire crop ruined by the cold.
However, this green tomato salsa verde recipe is a great way to make good use of those unripe tomatoes as well as make something you will enjoy so much that you will wish you always had some green tomatoes on hand.
The tart and somewhat vegetal flavor of green tomatoes is matched up with hot jalapeno peppers, garlic, onions, cilantro and lime juice in this green tomato salsa recipe for a winner of a salsa, which makes for an ideal way to use those unripened tomatoes in your garden.
A lot of people have never even tried green tomatoes, or perhaps only tried them breaded and fried, but this recipe gives you a brand new way to experience the flavor and appeal of this interesting vegetable. Once you have cored and diced the tomatoes, it is time to combine them with the onion, chilies, garlic, lime, cumin, and cilantro. Don’t worry about dicing the pieces uniformly because everything is going to go in the food processor to be pulsed to a smoother consistency.
It is not crucial to puree this finely, because some people do like a bit of texture, but it is your choice, so go for a totally smooth salsa if you like, or keep it more chunky if the textured finish appeals more. This salsa is nice chilled, and you can serve a spoonful of it on to fish or chicken or even serve it with something like sweet potato wedges, so you can contrast the sweetness of the potato with the piquant tang of the salsa.
- 2 pounds green tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 jalapeno or Serrano peppers, diced (adjust quantity to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- This is a relatively easy salsa to make except for one little thing: you will need to core the tomatoes (the centers of green tomatoes are often just a little too firm to work in a green tomato salsa recipe).
- You can use an apple corer or do it yourself with a sharp paring knife instead, whichever works best for you.
- Dice the tomatoes, onions, and peppers and chop the cilantro and garlic before adding all of the ingredients to a food processor.
- Pulse several times until the salsa is just slightly chunky, refrigerate for a few hours, and serve.
Green tomatoes are great for making salsa. This recipe combines them with onion, lime, cilantro, cumin and, of course, some chilies for heat, either a little bit or a lot, depending how fiery you like your food. Salsa recipes can be pureed in the food processor to break the ingredients down some more without the need for too much dicing. While a lot of them are best served chunky though, salsa verde is often pureed more for a finer, smoother result, like you can see in the picture. Serve this with chips for dipping, or with a meat, fish or poultry recipe if you prefer.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)