Habanero Pineapple Salsa Recipe
If you are familiar with habanero peppers, then chances are that you have a healthy respect for this potent pepper, even if you count yourself as a fan of its fiery, floral, and fruity character. While it is indeed a very flavorful (and delicious) pepper, it is simply much hotter than many people care to eat.
However, it is actually pretty easy to prepare a habanero in a way, which blunts the searing heat of the pepper and allows the floral and tropical fruit flavors to truly shine through. All you need to do is to remove the seeds and the heat level of the habanero is greatly reduced. It still has a kick; it is just not as overpowering as before.
In this habanero pineapple salsa recipe, the flavor of the habanero pepper is complimented by the fruity sweetness of pineapple along with a couple of ingredients which most of us don’t think of as salsa components: molasses, thyme and allspice, all of which are more common in Caribbean cuisine and often appear in dishes along with habanero or its close relative, the Scotch Bonnet.
This Caribbean style salsa makes a terrific accompaniment to just about any Caribbean or Mexican dish as well as just about any seafood, chicken or other meat dishes that you enjoy with a truly spicy kick along with a bit of sweetness added. In the case of most salsas, it is possible to adjust the heat level to meet your personal level of tolerance for fiery peppers – but with this salsa, there is only so much you can reduce the heat, so it is not for those who cannot take even a little heat in their salsa.
This is a recipe, which is well worth making, even if you have never tried habanero peppers before. You may just be surprised at how much you enjoy the flavor and the heat of these peppers – and this particular habanero pineapple salsa recipe makes a great introduction to this too infrequently used (at least in the US) pepper.
- 1 pineapple, peeled and chopped (roughly 2 cups)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp molasses
- ½ diced red onion
- 1 habanero pepper, deseeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh if possible, otherwise dried is fine)
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Like all of the best salsas, this habanero pineapple salsa recipe is easy to make and very rewarding in terms of taste.
- However, you should take care when dealing with the habanero pepper used in this recipe; it tends to stick around on your hands, cutting boards and other surfaces longer than you would expect.
- Make sure to wash your hands, utensils, cutting board and anything else that you have used with the habanero promptly after using to be on the safe side.
- Stir all the ingredients together, then chill for at least an hour so the flavors can blend.
- Serve garnished with some cilantro, if liked.
Caribbean meets Mexican with this pineapple salsa. The flavors are incredible. The molasses adds a sweet flavor which buoys up the pineapple appeal, while the habanero, thyme, allspice, and lime add fantastic accents. You just cannot buy something like this in the store but, luckily for you, this pineapple salsa is easy to throw together. Just gather your ingredients and combine them, then allow the salsa to sit so all the flavors can blend nicely. Serve this with jerk chicken, fried plantain and white rice if you want Caribbean flavors, or with lime-marinated swordfish and Mexican rice if you are in the mood for Mexican cuisine.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)