Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
Salsa is one of those things almost everyone likes, at least in one or another of its numerous possible forms. Ever since breaking onto the American culinary scene nationwide in the 1970s, salsa has become more popular with every passing year, finally surpassing ketchup as the nation’s favorite condiment. In addition, why not – there is a salsa recipe for literally everyone.
Part of salsa’s charm is that it is so easy to make yourself. If you have a few basic ingredients sitting around, you can easily prepare a basic homemade salsa recipe like this one. It is a classic tomato-based salsa recipe with a supporting cast including cilantro, onion and of course, jalapeno or Serrano peppers to give the salsa a little (or a lot, depending on your tastes) heat.
This is a basic tomato salsa recipe, which leaves plenty of room to experiment and to adjust the amounts of its ingredients according to taste. If you like it a little hotter, simply use more jalapeno; if you like more tomato flavor, feel free to increase the tomato a little. Do not worry about ruining anything – salsa is as forgiving as it is flavorful.
Simplicity is often the keyword of choice when making salsa, because the flavors of tomato, onion, lime, chilies and cilantro blend together to offer the typical taste of Mexico. Salsa recipes vary too, some being more spicy, others being sweeter or more herby, and some swapping the cilantro for parsley, the Roma tomatoes for cherry tomatoes or even tomatillos.
Others might include ingredients like black beans, avocado or corn, but whichever salsa recipe you choose, a lot of people believe nothing beats the timeless flavor of this classic salsa recipe. This is sure to suit any palate, whether you need to tweak the heat by altering the amount of chili, or just make it as the recipe describes. Salsa is one sauce which will never go out of style, and there seem to be more and more varieties appearing all the time.
- 4-6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red or yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno or Serrano peppers, diced (if you prefer a milder salsa, remove the seeds and ribs from the peppers before chopping)
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- This is such an easy recipe to prepare that directions seem almost unnecessary; however, there is one thing, which should be kept in mind when making almost any kind of salsa.
- That is that salsa will almost invariably taste better if you refrigerate it for at least two hours and as long as overnight before enjoying.
- Of course, there is no rule that you cannot serve your salsa immediately, but for the best flavor, allow it to sit for a couple of hours.
- After that, there is nothing left to do but enjoy – and more than likely, start making another batch!
This classic tomato salsa blends the tomato with onion, chilies, lime and cilantro to make something colorful, aromatic and exquisite. You simply cannot go wrong with such a dish. Even if you have been experimenting with different salsas including avocado, corn, black beans or mango, it is always nice to make this classic variant because the flavors are so fresh, simple and perfect for any occasion. Anyone can make this recipe. As long as you can chop and stir ingredients together you can make a typical south of the border salsa recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)