How to Make Flautas with Green Chili
Flautas, in case you are not familiar with them, are a close cousin of tacos and enchiladas, though their smaller size lands them decidedly under the umbrella of appetizers or snacks, though you could certainly make a meal out of them if you were so inclined.
Named for the Spanish word for flute, these little fried tortilla tubes may be filled with a variety of things, from meats to cheeses and vegetables. While the options are many, the common element in just about every recipe for flautas is that the filling is a savory one.
In this green chili flautas recipe, the flautas are filled with roasted green chilies – the canned New Mexico-style green chilies are perfect for this dish, though you can go ahead and roast your own if you like. Also included are Monterey jack cheese and corn to round out the earthy-sweet-spicy flavor of the green chilies with their own unique tastes.
Flautas are very easy to make and of course, very easy to eat as well. Especially if you are a fan of green chilies, these green chili flautas will disappear especially fast. The recipe given above is measured out to serve 4, but if you plan on entertaining a larger group or if you would rather make the flautas the center of attention rather than an appetizer, then simply double the recipe; it is not too likely that you’ll end up with much, if any, left over afterwards.
Very few ingredients are required to make these – you just need tortillas, chilies, cheese, and corn, as well as some green salsa to serve them. Home cooks are always delighted to find such an easy recipe, especially when the flavor is as tasty as this. These little tubes are served with tasty green salsa spooned over them, and this makes a nice appetizer or even the main component of your entrée with some salad or rice on the side.
- 16 corn tortillas
- ½ cup canned green chilies, chopped
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels, fresh and cut from the cob or frozen
- A few tbsp oil for frying (olive or canola)
- Green salsa
- This recipe does not take long at all to make, so you can begin by heating a little oil in a skillet over medium heat while you warm the tortillas, chop the green chilies, and shred the cheese.
- Mix the chilies, cheese and corn together and spoon a little of the mixture into each tortilla before folding up into a small tube.
- Cook the flautas over medium-high heat, turning periodically until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are golden brown on all sides.
- Lay on paper towels for a minute to allow excess oil to drain and serve hot, topped with green salsa and any other garnishes you prefer.
Flautas are a typical Mexican appetizer, and they are well loved because they combine a crunchy outside with a hot, flavorful filling. There are plenty of varieties to choose from, but these are especially good because their cheese, corn and chili filling is so easy to make, and offers a great taste. Whether you serve these as a component of your meal, like you can see in the photo, or as an appetizer before you bring out the entrée, you are sure to love both the texture of these crispy treats and the way the flavors combine.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119390 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117330 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63181 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45735 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34590 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30345 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24100 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23408 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18921 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17601 Views)