How to Make Flour Tortillas
Tortillas are one of those basic food items like bread in that almost everyone used to just make it themselves at home, but of course, as it has become easier to find commercially made tortillas in grocery stores and we seem to lead busier lives every day, the art of making homemade tortillas seems to have fallen by the wayside to some extent.
However, there is no reason not to make your own tortillas. Unlike baking bread, it really does not take all that much time or effort to do and the end result is definitely worth it. Even the best store bought flour tortillas pale in comparison to what you can easily make yourself in your own kitchen.
There are only a few ingredients involved and even if you have never done any kind of baking before, you will not have a problem having this flour tortilla recipe turn out just right. Give it a try and you will soon have your friends asking for your secret!
Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas
Summary: coming soon
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- about 1 ¼ cups warm water
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the shortening, cutting it into the dry ingredients with a fork or a pastry cutter until well blended.
- Add the water, just a little at a time until you have soft, but not sticky dough.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until it becomes smooth and pliable.
- Separate the dough into 12-14 equally sized balls and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes while you heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Roll out each dough ball using a rolling pin or tortilla press, dusting with a little flour to prevent sticking.
- Cook each tortilla for about 20-30 seconds per side, until they puff up slightly and brown in spots.
- Place each tortilla in a clean kitchen towel as it is finished to keep it warm while you prepare the others.
- Serve hot with the Mexican dishes of your choice or with anything else you like; they are especially good at breakfast time.
Preparation time: 1 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1
Culinary tradition: Mexican
There is really no secret to making great homemade flour tortillas, but they taste like there is. With less than half an hour of cooking, you can have fresh, warm flour tortillas which taste better than any you have ever had before – and you can easily make up another batch any time you like! They are just that easy to make. You can double or triple the recipe, but try not to make too much more than you will use in one or two days, since they do not keep terribly well; and besides, they are at their very best freshly made and hot. Once you learn how easy it is to make your own tortillas, you may never go back to store bought tortillas ever again.
Current average ratings.
One Response to How to Make Flour Tortillas
Leave a Reply
- Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipe With Cream Sauce
- Mexican Rice Pudding - Receta de Arroz con Leche
- One of the Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Classic Mexican Flan
- Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Traditional Recipe for Turkey Tamales
- Rich Mexican Beef Soup with Chipotle Chili
- Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
- Vanilla Mexican Sweet Bread
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe
- Home (70601 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (58709 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (39199 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (37193 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (27226 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (18482 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (14972 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (14023 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (11727 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (10855 Views)