How to Make Flour Tortillas
Tortillas are one of those basic food items like bread in that almost everyone used to just make it themselves at home, but of course, as it has become easier to find commercially made tortillas in grocery stores and we seem to lead busier lives every day, the art of making homemade tortillas seems to have fallen by the wayside to some extent.
However, there is no reason not to make your own tortillas. Unlike baking bread, it really does not take all that much time or effort to do and the end result is definitely worth it. Even the best store bought flour tortillas pale in comparison to what you can easily make yourself in your own kitchen.
There are only a few ingredients involved and even if you have never done any kind of baking before, you will not have a problem having this flour tortilla recipe turn out just right. Give it a try and you will soon have your friends asking for your secret!
How to Serve Flour Tortillas
You can serve these hot, warm or cold, but they are more pliable (and flavorful) when warmed, so give them 10 seconds in the microwave or warm them on the stove or in the oven and serve them that way if you want the best flavor. Flour tortillas are often served with a fajita filling so you can assemble your own fajitas, and that might be meat or chicken, onions and bell pepper strips, and perhaps some salsa, guacamole and sour cream on the side to add.
You can also use these to make tortilla wraps for lunch or you could chill them rolled up with the filling spread over them and then cut them into pinwheels to serve as appetizers. Flour tortillas are incredibly versatile. Cut them into wedges and deep fry to make tortilla chips or use them as a pizza crust to make pizza in a hurry.
The Best Tasting Tortillas
As you can imagine, homemade flour tortillas are far better than those you buy in vacuum-packed plastic wrappers, and who knows how old those are? Once you have made a batch of these the aroma and flavor will definitely make you want to make your own tortillas from scratch every time from now on. You just cannot beat these and the whole family will be able to taste the difference.
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- about 1 ¼ cups warm water
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the shortening, cutting it into the dry ingredients with a fork or a pastry cutter until well blended.
- Add the water, just a little at a time until you have soft, but not sticky dough.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until it becomes smooth and pliable.
- Separate the dough into 12-14 equally sized balls and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes while you heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Roll out each dough ball using a rolling pin or tortilla press, dusting with a little flour to prevent sticking.
- Cook each tortilla for about 20-30 seconds per side, until they puff up slightly and brown in spots.
- Place each tortilla in a clean kitchen towel as it is finished to keep it warm while you prepare the others.
- Serve hot with the Mexican dishes of your choice or with anything else you like; they are especially good at breakfast time.
There is really no secret to making great homemade flour tortillas, but they taste like there is. With less than half an hour of cooking, you can have fresh, warm flour tortillas which taste better than any you have ever had before – and you can easily make up another batch any time you like! They are just that easy to make. You can double or triple the recipe, but try not to make too much more than you will use in one or two days, since they do not keep terribly well; and besides, they are at their very best freshly made and hot. Once you learn how easy it is to make your own tortillas, you may never go back to store bought tortillas ever again.
One Response to How to Make Flour Tortillas
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119034 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (116921 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62859 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45514 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34342 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30173 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23900 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23237 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18699 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17131 Views)