How to Make Tostadas Vegetarian Style
Tostadas are one of those things that people tend to have mostly when they eat out and rarely make at home. It is a shame, since there is almost nothing easier than putting together your own freshly made tostadas. You can decide exactly what ingredients will go in and to be totally honest, it only takes a few minutes longer to make your own than it does to have them made at a restaurant (and if you’re driving to pick them up, then it’s much easier and faster to make them in your own kitchen).
Tostada shells are available at most grocery stores these days, as well as at Mexican markets, which makes it easy to get your hands on everything you need to make these easy, tasty vegetarian tostadas. You will be surprised at how five to ten minutes in the kitchen can yield something this good, but once you make them, you will be a believer.
This vegetarian tostada recipe sticks pretty close to the classic Mexican recipe. Crisp tostada shells are tipped with warm refried beans, sliced olives, shredded lettuce (cabbage is also used on occasion, so feel free to substitute it, if you prefer), avocado, salsa and either pickled or fresh sliced jalapenos, all topped off with a little bit of cheese. It is a simple dish which gives rewards far beyond the small effort involved in making them yourself.
Tostadas make a great snack any time of day or night. They are satisfying, relatively light, and incredibly easy to make. You can whip up a large batch of these easy vegetarian tostadas for a party or for appetizers if you are preparing a Mexican meal; and of course, you can just make a few for yourself if a craving for tostadas strikes.
Sometimes it seems like there aren’t enough things in this world which are easy and enjoyable, but if whenever you’re feeling like that is the case, just remember (or make) these tostadas and remind yourself that some things in life can be as easy as they are wonderful.
- 1 bag Tostada shells
- 1 can (15 oz) vegetarian refried pinto or black beans (read the label if unsure)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (romaine or iceberg)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp grated cotija cheese or crumbled queso fresco for each tostada (optional)
- Black olives, sliced
- Fresh or pickled jalapeno slices
- Sliced scallions
- Salsa (your choice)
- This tostada recipe is one of the easiest dishes you will ever find, especially if you have a microwave handy; even if you do not it’s not a lot more complicated.
- Warm your refried beans and spread a thin layer atop each tostada shell, then top with scallions, lettuce, tomato, olives, jalapenos and salsa as well as cheese, if you like and enjoy!
- Really – that is all there is to it!
Tostada shells are incredibly versatile, and you can top them with just about anything. Although meat, fish and chicken are popular toppings, it also pays to know how to make the best vegetarian tostadas, hence this recipe. Combining beans with cotija cheese (which of course you may swap with another cheese if you prefer) and also featuring colorful salad vegetables, black olives, jalapeño, and whatever else you want to add, this is also an easy recipe taking mere minutes to throw together. The photo shows the colorful, appetizing results you can expect from this lovely dish.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117392 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34626 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)