Mango Citrus Salsa Recipe
Fruit salsas are more popular than they have ever been. As people become more and more used to the idea of making their own salsas (or at least trying something a little different than the average tomato salsas available at their local grocery store), there has been a growing interest in salsas which stray from the tried and true.
Mango is one of the most popular main ingredients for fruit salsas; however, it is less common to see mango sharing the stage with citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit in a salsa. Lime of course, is a common ingredient in any sort of salsa.
This mango citrus salsa combines mango with the bright acidity and sweetness of oranges and grapefruit. You can use either white or red grapefruit for this recipe, though red grapefruit is probably the variety most cooks would choose – but if you prefer the more assertive sourness of white grapefruit, feel free to use it in this recipe.
Just like with most Mexican salsas, this one relies heavily, actually completely, on fresh produce. Although for the sake of convenience some people like to use thawed or canned fruit or vegetables in salsa-making, if you are going to the trouble of making a fresh salsa, you really should use fresh ingredients for an authentic result.
Dicing a fresh mango is not that much more time-consuming than popping open a can and draining it, but the flavor in the fresh mango is so much better than the flavor of the canned kind. Canned mango is fine for making mango pudding or whatever, but do ensure you use the fresh kind when making salsa and your taste buds will thank you.
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 orange, diced
- 1 grapefruit, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp cilantro, minced
- A pinch of white pepper (simply omit if you don’t have this ingredient)
- Salt, to taste
- Peel and chop the mango, taking care to cut around the seed (you will get more fruit from your mango this way).
- Peel and dice the citrus, trying to remove as much of the pith as possible.
- Chop the jalapeno, onion, cilantro and mix all ingredients together, then season to taste with salt.
- If you don’t have any white pepper on hand, then you can safely leave it out; don’t substitute black pepper though, since it’s flavor won’t match the other ingredients in this mango citrus salsa as well as white pepper will.
- Refrigerate for two hours (or longer, if possible) and enjoy with anything and everything you like to have with salsa – tortilla chips are especially good dipped in this salsa, but feel free to try it out with seafood dishes, Mexican entrees and whatever else strikes your fancy.
Mango citrus salsa is just as versatile as any other kind of salsa, complementing chips, seafood or white meat. What this one is really good for though is serving with fish. The picture shows a novel way to serve this salsa, and that is arranging thinly sliced, fresh, raw tuna (or lime-marinated tuna if you like) on top of the salsa rather than spooning the salsa on top of the fish. Although this might hide the beauty of the salsa, you can still see some under the fish. Add some salsa verde, a wedge of lemon, and fresh herbs for a lovely garnish, and you have all the makings of a really impressive appetizer. Salmon would also work here, but ensure your fish is of sushi-grade (super-fresh and high quality) if you plan on serving it uncooked.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117386 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)