Mango Grapefruit Salsa
Mango is a fruit that just about everyone loves, and for that matter, ruby red grapefruit also has a lot of fans. However, you do not see the two served together all that often.
However, all that just might be about to change. This mango grapefruit salsa recipe combines these two fruits in a new and unexpected way. Mango is of course a somewhat common salsa ingredient and mango salsas are gaining popularity – but grapefruit is something you will not often find in a salsa recipe.
Together, these two create a one of a kind dip. Try it with seafood, roasted chicken and of course, tortilla chips; it is something you will probably want to make again and soon!
Choose the ripest, freshest fruits you can when making salsa, since the mango and grapefruit are going to co-star in this salsa. Any imperfection or under- or over-ripeness will stand out, and not in a good way, so take you time choosing good quality produce, like any good Mexican cook at a market would. Examine, smell and, if you are permitted, gently squeeze the produce to discover its quality.
The green onion, cilantro and jalapeño are easier to find in perfect quality, and these are also important accents in the dish, while the vinegar and sugar can be used to balanced out the flavor, so you end up with something which is neither too sweet nor too bitter. If you only have yellow grapefruit, add extra sugar, because the flavor is not as sweet as with the red variety.
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- Peel the grapefruit and mango. Separate the grapefruit into sections and slice each about ¼” thick.
- Peel and chop the mango, cutting around the large flat seed in the center.
- Slice the onion, mince the jalapeno and cilantro, and add, along with the fruit, to a bowl.
- Add red wine vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved.
- Season the salsa with fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste and refrigerate.
- Allow to refrigerate for a few hours for the flavors to blend (your grapefruit mango salsa will taste much better if you allow for enough time to do this).
- As good as this recipe is, do not make vast quantities of salsa unless you plan to eat it all within a day or so.
- Grapefruit and mango salsa tastes its best when consumed within a day and does not keep well for more than a few days, so keep this in mind.
- After all, it is easy enough to make that you can make up another batch of this mouthwatering salsa recipe any time you like.
This tasty mango and grapefruit salsa includes green onion, cilantro and jalapeño, to offer true Mexican flavors. In the photo it is served over cod, and that is certainly one of the best serving suggestions, because cod offers a meaty texture yet a delicate flavor, and the fruity salsa combines and contrasts like you would not believe. Cook the cod simply, on the grill or in the oven, or even poach it in white wine (or water with cilantro and a splash of tequila added) and then spoon some of the salsa over the top. As the picture shows, this makes an exquisite dish.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119454 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117443 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63256 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45797 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34659 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23456 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17718 Views)