Mango Habanero Salsa Recipe
Some like it hot, especially when the topic at hand happens to be salsa. If it’s heat that you’re looking for, you’d be hard pressed to find anything much hotter than the habanero pepper, which is among the very hottest peppers used for cooking.
However, even if you are not a fan of heat (or if you are flat out afraid of very spicy dishes) you can still enjoy this great mango habanero salsa recipe. You can remove much of the heat from this salsa recipe by how you deal with the habanero as you make the salsa. By removing the seeds and ribs from the pepper and rinsing the insides of the pepper well to remove some of the volatile oils, you end up with a habanero, which retains its fruity flavor while losing much of the heat. If you are a fan of fiery salsas, though, feel free to leave the seeds in.
The mango and habanero work together well in this recipe, bringing out the best of each other’s tropical fruit flavors. Served with seafood, roasted chicken, or pork, this is a mango salsa which you will definitely remember – even without the heat.
This piquant salsa is different from the tomato-based ones, even though it does include tomato, and that is primarily because the main flavors that will hit you first are the sweetness of the fruit and the bite of the chili pepper, and then the other flavors will release on your tongue.
It is hard to describe just how perfect this sweet versus spicy harmony is, and the best way to discover it is of course to make this salsa yourself. This recipe is a favorite of many people, especially those who love a fiery salsa but who also enjoy pairing that fire with something sweet, to offer a perfect contrast.
- 2 cups mango, cubed
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 small or medium red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ to 3 Habanero chilies, seeded
- Juice of 3 limes
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste (optional)
- Before you do anything else, chop your habanero peppers while wearing rubber gloves (or wash your hands and the cutting board as well as the knife very thoroughly afterwards – you only make the mistake of rubbing your eyes after handling habaneros once).
- Remove the seeds and ribs unless you plan on making a very hot salsa and wash everything thoroughly with dish detergent and hot water.
- Yes, it IS that important.
- Peel and cube the mango and chop the tomatoes and onion, combining the ingredients in a bowl. Add the olive oil, lime juice and a pinch of salt and white pepper.
- Stir well and taste, adjusting seasoning if necessary.
- Refrigerate for a few hours and serve.
A habanero spiced fresh mango and tomato salsa is the perfect condiment to serve with fried skate or any kind of fish in fact. The sweetness and spiciness work well with fish, chicken or even pork, and this truly is a match made in heaven. Although we have used cherry tomatoes in the photo, this salsa can be made with Roma tomatoes or another kind if you prefer. The amount of chili is up to you, of course, since you are making this, so make it fit your palate by reducing or even increasing how much habanero goes in there, so you can get the perfect result.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)