Meatless Mexican Casserole Recipe
Vegetarians and anyone else looking to add some meatless meals into their diet will find many meatless Mexican casseroles to experiment and savor. Mexican cuisine offers plenty of meatless recipes of its own and Mexican-inspired meatless casseroles are numerous. There are a number of vegetables, which take naturally to Mexican flavors; and beans of various sorts make a hearty, healthy, protein rich stand-in for meat.
When looking for a meatless Mexican casserole recipe, do not count out the dishes, which traditionally contain meat. You can almost always find a meat substitute to take its place; meat alternatives have made their way into the mainstream and most grocery stores stock these products. Even vegetarian chorizo, the spicy Mexican sausage is available at some stores; if you can find it, it is great in this recipe! Vegetarian products have actually come a long way and some taste pretty much identical to meat, making them ideal for making meatless Mexican casseroles for people who love the meat flavor but do not actually want to eat meat.
This meatless casserole concentrates on some of the basics of Mexican cuisine: tortillas, beans, rice, salsa, and cheese for a flavorful casserole everyone will love, vegetarian or not.
The onions, pepper and beans are combined, then you can layer those with your tortillas, cheese and salsa. This delicious layered casserole is gently spiced, although you can increase or decrease the spiciness if you wish. Serve this in wedges with your favorite accompaniments, perhaps avocado and cilantro to add a splash of green, or perhaps some extra salsa.
Just because you do not want to incorporate meat into your meal does not mean you cannot make something really tasty, as this recipe proves beyond a doubt. This stacked, layered dish is lovely as a snack or entrée, and it keeps well too, so perhaps have a slice cold the following day for brunch if you fancy it.
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 16 ounces (1 large can) refried pinto or black beans
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 small can plain tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 1 cup each sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp epazote (if unavailable, this can be omitted)
- Sliced avocado and minced fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sauté onions and pepper in a saucepan until the onions have just begun to turn translucent and add the beans, stirring constantly.
- Cook just until the beans are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Lightly oil a 9? pie pan or cast iron skillet (cooking spray works well for this) and place a tortilla in the pan.
- Spread ⅓ of the beans on this tortilla, then ⅓ of the tomato sauce and ¼ of the salsa.
- Make your next layer the same way, but adding a generous handful of cheese after the salsa.
- Continue layering and make sure to save plenty of salsa and cheese for the last layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cheese bubbles.
- Slice into wedges and serve with sliced avocado, cilantro, and more salsa.
Vegetarian casserole recipes are always handy to have. Not only can you make something tasty for any visiting vegetarians but you can also rustle this up as a side dish to go with your meat, poultry or fish. The Mexican flavors this casserole offers are sure to delight you. You can see a portion of this tasty casserole in the photo, and you can also see how garnishing the finished dish with cilantro can add an attractive splash of color. Some people like to serve sliced avocado on the side, for a contrasting taste and texture.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (118933 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (116840 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62799 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45472 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34285 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30139 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23866 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23203 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18657 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17032 Views)