Michigan Cherry Salsa
Salsa is an incredibly popular condiment and is available in a staggering number of different varieties. While its inarguable that most salsa bought in shops or made at home is still of the standard tomato salsa type, there are a lot of other possibilities in terms of salsa recipes, including fruit salsas of all kinds.
Among the many different fruits you will find turning up in salsas, cherries are one of the more unusual, but also one of the tastiest. Generally, the cherries used in cherry salsas are of the sour variety (they are actually still sweet, but less so than sweet cherries and with a bit more acidity as well).
While you could use sweet cherries for this Michigan cherry salsa recipe, sour cherries are much more well suited thanks to their slightly lower sugar content and pleasant tartness. Even more so, than some other types of fruit salsa, the cherries work with the other ingredients to make something unique while still managing to retain their own flavor and character.
The cherries are combined with red onion, chili peppers, lime, and cilantro, with a little salt and sugar thrown in to balance out the flavor. The flavors will develop as this sits in the refrigerator, and you will be pleasantly surprised at the amazing taste this cherry salsa offers.
Serve this alongside steak or game meat, because the rich flavors will work so well, or else serve it with crackers or chips, or even with a meaty kind of fish like swordfish or cod perhaps. Tilapia would also be a good fish to serve this salsa with. Making this could not be easier, because all you need to do is combine the ingredients. If you are using sour cherries, the ingredients the recipe calls for will work, but if you are using sweet ones, you might find you do not need to add the sugar.
- 2 ½ cups (about 1 lb) sour cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- ½ small or medium red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno or Serrano peppers, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- This is an incredibly easy recipe to make; that is, at least once you are done pitting the cherries.
- This can be a time consuming task, though there are devices made for pitting cherries and olives, which make quick work of pitting.
- Once this is done, simply chop the cherries, vegetables and herbs, add the lime juice, sugar, and salt, and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Allow the salsa to rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour for the flavors to develop and blend before serving.
Cherry salsa is not your usual run-of-the-mill salsa you get with a bowl of chips when visiting a Tex-Mex restaurant. This unusual condiment is easy to prepare and offers a refreshing change of pace from the tomato salsas you are probably more accustomed to eating. Serve this with chips or crackers, or try it alongside meat, fish or seafood. Something else you could try is serving it with a cheeseboard, because the spice and fruit contrast beautifully with the cheese. So if you are looking for a new way to use cherries, consider making this. The flavor will delight your taste buds.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)