Pineapple and Orange Salsa
Salsa is a versatile thing. It can be chunky or smooth; savory or sweet. This recipe for pineapple and orange salsa is sweet, yet it carries a kick. The fruit gives a delicious, refreshing flavor while the peppers give it some zing. If you have not tried a fruit salsa, you are in for a real treat. Using fresh fruit in the summer time lets you make the most of the seasonal bounty.
Fruit salsa has an exotic flavor. The sweet acidity of the pineapple is complemented nicely with the orange slices. Serve this salsa with tortilla chips, tacos or any other dish with a Mexican flavor. This salsa recipe is actually extremely good when paired with fish, pork, or chicken. It gives the meat a delicious tropical flavor. It also makes a wonderful appetizer. The crunch of the chips goes nicely with the soft, sweet fruit and spicy peppers. This colorful pineapple orange salsa can add a lot to your plate. The colors brighten up the food and the flavors will brighten your palate.
This recipe is super simple to make. Even if you do all your chopping by hand, it only takes a few minutes to prepare this delicious treat. You can leave it to the last minute and prepare it fresh. Fruit salsas do not hold up in the refrigerator as long as traditional tomato-based salsas, so use it up right away. Like other salsas, fruit salsas are low in fat, cholesterol, and calories. Making them from scratch means you do not get any preservatives, either.
If you are new to making your own salsa recipes you will be surprised and delighted just how easy the process it. Unless you are using an ingredient which needs to be cooked first, you can just go ahead and dice and combine the ingredients to make the salsa, using a food processor to slice or chop, to save time, or at the end to puree the mixture and make it smoother, choosing from a smooth puree, a chunkier puree, or a chunky salsa with less juice. If you keep the pieces large and omit any juice then your salsa becomes a ‘pico de gallo’ but a little juice is usually good, both for dipping chips into and for serving as a condiment alongside your Mexican meal.
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and cut into chunks
- 1 tomato, sliced into ¼ inch chunks
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped into ¼ inch chunks
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 5 or 6 springs cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Mix the pineapple, mandarin oranges, tomato, pepper, onion, jalapenos, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Stir well.
- Serve immediately with chips.
- Note: Use caution handling the jalapenos. Do not touch your face while working with them. Wash your hands immediately after handling them.
Pineapple and orange salsa offers a treat for the eyes as well as the taste buds. Combining the exotic sweetness of pineapple and orange, this salsa also includes tomato, onion, chilies, bell pepper, lime and cilantro, to bring you a distinctive south of the border flavor in every mouthful. Adjust the jalapeño if you want to increase or decrease the spice level, and incorporate plenty of cilantro if you love this aromatic herb. This fruity salsa may be served with fish or poultry, and it also makes an unusual dip for tortilla chips or corn chips.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)