Poblanos Rellenos – Vegetable Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Eggs and Cheese
Cheese stuffed peppers make an appearance in pretty much every cuisine, each with their own spin on the recipe. Native to the Americas, the capsicum family of peppers includes some of the larger, easier to stuff peppers such as bell and poblano peppers, which have been an essential part of Mexican cuisine since long before Europeans arrived. A very popular dish in Mexico, there are nearly as many stuffed peppers recipes as there are cooks!
This particular Mexican cheese stuffed poblano peppers recipe is usually made with Rocato peppers, which are slightly milder than jalapenos but far larger. Since these are somewhat difficult to find in most of the US, the mild yet flavorful and large enough to stuff easily. In this recipe, the peppers are stuffed with vegetables, raisins, and peanuts then baked in eggs and Oaxaca cheese over diced potatoes.
This is a hearty stuffed pepper recipe sure to be a hit at brunch or any occasion when ordinary stuffed peppers just will not do. Cheese stuffed poblano peppers combine creaminess with sharp flavors and the chilies give them just enough fire to make them exciting without being too hot.
Consider some of the stuffed pepper recipes you have had in the past, and you will probably think of a ground beef filling or a cheese filling, which makes this recipe look rather more complex in comparison. If you want to taste stuffed poblanos the way the Mexicans like them though, do have a go at making this, and you are going to love how all those flavors work together.
There are a few different vegetables in the filling including carrot, peas, potato and onion, along with Oaxaca cheese (if you can get it, or a similar variety if not), plus eggs, raisins, peanuts and tofu. These ingredients are so different that it is pretty much impossible to visualize how this is going to taste. The best thing to do is just make it, and let the flavors speak for themselves. Because this is rich in fresh produce, it is a nutritious entrée as well as a very appealing and flavorful one.
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1 small yellow onion, diced finely
- 3 small or 2 medium-sized potatoes, cooked and diced
- ½ cup cooked or canned pigeon peas (glandules) – green peas may be substituted
- ½ cup carrots, cooked and diced (approximately 1 large carrot)
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper, minced
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp ground or finely chopped peanuts
- ½ lb firm tofu, crumbled – about 1 cup; rehydrated TVP also works well
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- A generous splash of milk or soymilk (1 ½-2 oz)
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese, grated; farmer’s cheese or Munster can be substituted
- Start by sautéing the tofu, onion and jalapeno until the tofu is lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add peas, carrots, peanuts, raisins, egg, and cook another 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. as you cook the filling.
- Arrange the diced potatoes in a lightly oiled baking pan and stuff your peppers with your filling mixture and place on top of the potatoes.
- Beat eggs, milk, and pour over the peppers and potatoes, top with the shredded cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
- Serve at once with corn tortillas or toast and enjoy!
These stuffed poblanos are well worth making. Although you will need quite a few different ingredients if you want to follow the recipe to the letter, they are a good choice because the filling is so tasty, and the creaminess combines so well with the slight bite of the chilies. Vegetables, tofu, eggs, nuts, and raisins also feature in the filling to make it multi-dimension in terms of flavor, and offer an authentic south of the border taste. Serve this colorful dish with some salad or perhaps with Mexican rice on the side.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119454 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117444 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63256 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45797 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34659 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23456 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17718 Views)