Recipe for Green Tomato Salsa
You may be familiar with salsa verde, the green salsa made with a base of tomatillos, the papery-husked cousins of the tomato. They’re not available everywhere, but if you can’t find these in your market or happen to have some green tomatoes around from your garden, you can make something a bit different but just as good with this recipe for green tomato salsa.
Green tomatoes are not something you will always find at the grocery store either, but if you grow tomatoes yourself, then chances are that you will have plenty of green tomatoes around throughout the growing season. If you love the flavor of roasted tomatoes and jalapeno peppers, this may just end up being one of your favorite recipes for green tomato salsa.
It’s a little more work to prepare than some other salsas, but the end result is a richly flavored, complex salsa, which is more than worth the amount of time and effort you will need to invest in its preparation. You may even find yourself picking unripe tomatoes just to make this salsa once you discover it for yourself.
As well as the green tomatoes you will need onion, jalapeños, garlic and lime, typical ingredients in Mexican salsa. The vegetables are roasted before you use them, which is not something you do in other salsa recipes, at least not most of them, but it brings out the lovely flavors, plus softens the green tomatoes to give them a nice texture.
The onions and garlic do not need to be peeled before roasting. They will soften in the oven and the papery skins will come off easily afterwards. Once all the ingredients are ready to use, it is time to combine everything in your food processor to make the salsa the right consistency, either chunky or smooth, or somewhere between the two. You are the cook so it is up to you how you want the texture of this to be, and you can also decide how spicy you want this salsa, or how mild.
- 8 green tomatoes
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers (adjust quantity to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for broiling
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees and oiling a large baking dish.
- Slice the onion, tomatoes and jalapenos lengthwise, leaving the skin on the onion.
- Place the onions, peppers, and tomatoes on the baking sheet, cut side down.
- Add the garlic to the dish, unpeeled.
- Bake for 40 minutes and remove from the oven, allowing to cool until the vegetables can be handled safely.
- Peel the onions and garlic and mince.
- Dice the tomatoes and jalapenos and add to a food processor along with the onions and garlic (if you do not have a food processor, you can simply chop the ingredients a little more finely and have a chunkier salsa).
- Pulse until the salsa is smooth but not completely pureed.
- Add lime juice, salt and refrigerate for two hours before serving.
Green tomatoes are the main ingredient in this lovely salsa. Combined with onion, cilantro, garlic and lime, as well as chilies, this is a fabulous condiment. The special thing about this is the vegetables are roasted before being pureed in the food processor, and not only does this bring out their lovely flavor but it also brings out a nice sweetness and softens the texture a bit. Green tomatoes make a change from red ones, so if you are looking to change up your usual salsa a bit without making it too different, this would be a good recipe to try out.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)