Refreshing Peach and Papaya Salsa
You may never have had them together before, but peach and papaya go together wonderfully. The acidity of peaches balances out the less acidic nature of papaya perfectly and the flavors of these two fruits come together to create something very special indeed.
Better still is combining these two fruit flavors with some more savory ingredients: onion, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro. The result is something you will want to make again and again.
This peach and papaya salsa recipe is just what the doctor ordered on a warm summer’s day. Just sweet enough, but not too much so and just a little spicy, this is a salsa which is satisfying and refreshing in a way which few others can claim to be. Try making this in the summer when peaches and papayas are both in season and prepare to be amazed at the results.
Although this is technically a salsa, it can also be compared to a fruit salad, since you are combining fruit to make the dish, and then just adding more components to finish it off. So if you want new ideas for your fruits, consider making some fruit salsa recipes and discover just how versatile fruit can be. As is the case with many fruit salsas, this one does not call for many more ingredients than just the fruit.
You will need red onion, chilies, lime, and cilantro. Each of these not only brings out the beautiful flavor of the fruit, but adds a typical Mexican accent to the dish. Serve this with crackers or chips. Melba toast would be another option. If you want to serve it alongside an entrée, it goes well with pork, chicken or fish, or you could serve it with a Mexican salad or even tacos or fajitas. You will find lots of ways to use it.
- 1 peach, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ papaya, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium sized red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (adjust according to taste)
- Juice of 2 limes
- ½ tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Salt and white pepper, to taste (if you do not have white pepper, simply omit)
- Peel and chop the papaya and peach and add to a bowl, adding the chopped onion, peppers, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Season with a little salt and white pepper (the flavor of white pepper is preferable here, so if you do not have it or are not fond of it, just omit this ingredient rather than substituting black pepper).
- Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate for a few hours for the flavors to blend.
- Try to make only what you will use right away.
- This salsa can be so addictive that you may want to make a large batch, but unfortunately it does not keep for long – peaches and papayas do not stay at the peak of flavor for long once they have been cut.
- It is an easy recipe to make; and of course, you can always whip up another batch before peach season ends.
Peach and papaya star in this lovely salsa recipe, so if you want something to make a change from the tomato salsas you are perhaps more accustomed to, consider making it. All you need to do is chop the ingredients and toss them together, and then you will end up with something sweet yet spicy, and which offers an array of textures. The photo shows a cook chopping papaya, and of course chopping the fruit is what will take the most time when making this, because all that is left to do after that is tossing the ingredients together and that takes barely any time.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)