Roasted Poblano and Green Chile Salsa
If you have ever been to New Mexico or other parts of the American southwest, green chili is something you are probably familiar with. These mild, roasted green chili peppers have a flavor which is all their own which nothing can substitute for in recipes.
Even if you are normally somewhat averse to hot peppers, green chili salsa is something you can enjoy; these peppers have just a hint of heat, but plenty of flavor. This green chili salsa recipe combines New Mexico-style roasted green chilies along with roasted poblano peppers and green tomatoes or tomatillos for an unbeatable salsa verde.
If you have never had roasted chili peppers before, you are in for a treat – and if you are already a fan of green chili, then you know just how good a salsa made with these roasted peppers can be.
Poblanos are not hard to find, so get yourself some of those as well as green chilies to add the spicy element to the dish. Although Mexicans are advocates of using fresh produce wherever possible, using canned chilies as a backup flavor to the poblanos, which provide the main flavor in the salsa, works out fine in this dish.
The green tomatoes and tomatillos add both color and flavor to this salsa, and you can get those ingredients from a Mexican grocery store if you cannot get them from your usual market. The poblanos are broiled or roasted, as you prefer, or you could even slap them on the grill if you have it hot. In fact, char-grilling them is the best way to prepare them, since you will get the smoky aroma from the coals which adds beautifully to the overall taste of the salsa.
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted and diced
- 1 can (8-10 oz) green chilies
- 4 tomatillos or 1-2 green tomatoes, husked and diced
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ? cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Start by heating your oven to broil; alternately, you can roast the peppers over the flame if you have a gas stove.
- Broil or roast the poblano peppers, turning regularly.
- Once the skins start to blacken, they are ready.
- Transfer the peppers to a tightly closed paper bag while you prepare the other ingredients.
- After a few minutes in the bag, you can remove the peppers and place them under cold running water; the skins should simply slip off of the poblanos at this point.
- Add the peppers, lime juice, and green chilies to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse a few times until the mixture is relatively smooth, but well short of being pureed.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to come together – this step is optional, but your salsa will taste better once it has a little time to rest.
- Serve and enjoy!
This green salsa is made with tomatillos, green tomatoes, poblanos, green chilies and more, so you can expect not only an aromatic taste but something vivid green in color, full of amazing flavor, and perfectly spicy without being too fiery. Making this is very easy. You just need to broil or roast your poblanos, and then combine them with the other ingredients to make this salsa. If you usually make red tomato salsa, why not try this one for a change? Serve it with chips, crudités, or your favorite meat or fish.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117386 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)