Roasted Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa
A lot of people like salsa verde, or green salsa; some of us even prefer it to the usual tomato based variety of salsa, while others enjoy both styles equally. Regardless of which camp you fall into, you probably like to have salsa verde on occasion and may be interested in a green salsa recipe which you can make at home.
If so, then this roasted green salsa recipe is one you should definitely try. It is every bit as good as any you will find at your local Mexican grocer and perhaps even as good as is offered at your local Mexican eateries. It is pretty easy to make and the flavors you end up with are a more than ample reward for your efforts in the kitchen.
The most difficult part about making this wonderful roasted green salsa recipe is that you will need to make a stop at your local Mexican grocer in order to pick up some ingredients which you probably do not have on hand. You will need tomatillos, Serrano peppers, Pequin chilies, fresh cilantro and jalapeno peppers (the last two are probably available at your neighborhood grocery store as well, but the quality will often be better at a grocer which specializes in Mexican ingredients).
This is a simply fantastic salsa verde recipe which gives you all of the deep, complex flavors that come from roasting your ingredients in a dry skillet before mixing them together. You’ll be amazed at how great something so easy to make at home can be, but you can always tell your family, friends and other dinner guests that you spent all day making it if you like; and with a salsa recipe this great, no one will be the wiser.
Try this salsa with tortilla chips, baked or roasted meats and vegetables, seafood, over enchiladas and of course, along with all of your favorite Mexican and Central American dishes. It is great with almost everything and if you are a fan of hot salsa, this is one recipe which you do not want to pass up.
- 1 pound tomatillos, unhusked
- 2 Serrano chili peppers
- 2 jalapeno chili peppers
- 8 pequin chili peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small whole onion, peeled
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Lime juice, to taste (fresh is best)
- Salt, to taste
- Put the chilies, garlic, and peeled onion along with the tomatillos in a cast iron skillet and toast the ingredients over medium high heat until the tomatillo husks are blackened and their skins begin to darken and become translucent.
- Once this happens, remove from heat and allow your ingredients to cool to room temperature.
- Take the husks off of the tomatillos and remove the stems from the chilies and place in a food processor along with the cilantro, lime juice, and a little salt.
- Blend until smooth and transfer to a pan, cooking for about ten minutes over medium heat to blend the flavors.
- Serve at once or refrigerate in tightly sealed containers.
Extra spicy tomatillo salsa is many Mexican food fans’ idea of a real treat. While some people prefer a milder salsa, others love the kick and thrill all that chili infuses into the dip, and for those this recipe is like heaven. If you prefer a more delicate taste, you can either greatly reduce the amount of chili used here or make another tomatillo salsa recipe because we have a number of them to choose from. The photo shows what the finished salsa is going to look like and the chips in the picture are a great thing to serve with this dip.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Wonderful Chicken and Chorizo Breakfast Burritos Recipe April 1, 2015
- We are Gearing Up for Cinco de Mayo April 1, 2015
- Mexican Dessert Sopapilla Recipe January 24, 2015
- Some Authentic Mexican Recipes January 24, 2015
- Some Traditional Mexican Recipes January 24, 2015
- Types of Salsa January 24, 2015
- Fried Cinnamon Mexican Dessert with Lime Sauce January 23, 2015
- Sweet Meets Savory Corn Dessert Muffins January 22, 2015
- 6-Ingredient Breakfast Burritos January 21, 2015
- Baked Mixed Bean Quesadillas January 19, 2015
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (114807 Views)
- Home (113863 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61536 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44620 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33279 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29310 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23091 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22313 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17751 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15567 Views)