Salsa Recipe – Watermelon Cantaloupe Jalapenos
Cool and refreshing, melons are a nearly universal favorite and a fruit, which is inevitably associated with summer. Of course, it is now possible to find at least some types of melon in the produce aisle of grocery stores year round, but it is during the summer that you will always find the freshest and most flavorful melons.
Naturally, you can still enjoy melon when it is not in season, but it is recommended that if you want to make this spectacular watermelon cantaloupe recipe that you wait until fresh local watermelon is available, since the salsa will be much more flavorful if you have access to high quality fruit.
This watermelon salsa recipe combines the refreshing coolness of melons and a touch of mint with fiery jalapeno peppers and pungent-sweet red onion and cilantro for a refreshing salsa with just a hint of heat. If you would prefer a spicier salsa, then by all means feel free to increase the amount of jalapeno in this recipe to fit your personal taste.
Cantaloupe and watermelon combine perfectly to offer natural sweetness, and then you add onion, chili and lime for a typical south of the border flavor, along with cilantro and mint for an aromatic finish. This salsa needs to chill in the refrigerator for a few hours so the flavors can blend perfectly, and then you can serve it.
Most people have only had melon in sweet dishes, but take this opportunity to make this salsa and find out how nicely it can work in a savory recipe, and how it contrasts amazingly with the chilies. This salsa is something really different that you can make easily, and it goes with all kinds of dishes too.
- 1 lb each watermelon and cantaloupe, cubed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 chopped strawberries (optional)
- This recipe is much easier to prepare if you use seedless watermelon (or if you do not mind having the seeds in your salsa, which is up to you).
- Start by halving the watermelon and cantaloupe and de-seeding the cantaloupe before slicing the melon into long sections and cutting the slices into cubes.
- Add the melon to a large bowl and chop the onion, cilantro and jalapeño, as well as the strawberries and/or mint (if using), and mix together with the watermelon and cantaloupe.
- Squeeze lime juice over the salsa, mix again, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate the salsa for 2-4 hours before serving.
- Make only the amount of salsa that you plan to use, since melon does not keep especially well once cut.
- Besides, this salsa will taste its very best the day it is made, so like summer, this watermelon and cantaloupe salsa recipe is one of those things to be enjoyed while it lasts.
Cantaloupe and watermelon salsa is unique. The melons blend with herbs and spices, as well as red onion, to make this mouthwatering Mexican condiment. Serve this alongside fish, seafood, chicken or pork, and enjoy how nicely the fresh flavors combine. You can alter the amount of chili in the salsa, making it as mild or as piquant as you like. The chili contrasts perfectly with the sweetness of the fruit, resulting in a dish as harmonious-tasting as it is mouthwatering. The next time you have some melon to use up, forget the sweet recipes and make salsa instead. You will not regret it.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117382 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63209 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45760 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24112 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18948 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17647 Views)