Savory Black Bean Burritos with Summer Squash
Summer may be a long way off, depending when you read this, but if you have a garden (or just live near a good produce market or farmer’s market), then you know how plentiful zucchini, yellow crookneck squash and other summer squash are in the summer – and just how great they taste when they’re in season. This summer squash burrito recipe is best with fresh summer squash picked at the peak of flavor in mid to late summer and it makes a great way to use up some of that surplus squash from the garden or market.
Zucchini and other summer squashes are popular ingredients in Mexican cuisine and this is one dish which you may find at taquerias and Mexican eateries in your area, if you are lucky enough to have one nearby. It is a vegetable which takes well to almost every kind of dish and burritos are just one example of the adaptability of this summer favorite.
Here, fresh, juicy summer squash is shredded and teamed up with black beans, onions; garlic, jalapeno peppers, and cheese for a filling burrito which makes a great way to get your vegetables. If you are a vegan, then the cheese can easily be omitted – these burritos are fantastic with or without dairy.
Burritos are an incredibly easy dish to make and they are something that almost everyone likes; and even people who do not normally think of themselves as fans of summer squash are likely to go for seconds of these savory summer squash and black bean burritos. Especially when enjoyed with some spicy (or mild, as your tastes may be), these burritos are certain to become a summertime favorite with your family and friends. The next time you have a surplus of zucchini, scallopini or other summer squash, there is no need to whip up a batch of zucchini bread; at least not when you could make these incredible burritos instead!
- 4 burrito size tortillas
- 3 zucchini or other summer squash, shredded
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion (any kind), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (use more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil for sautéing
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Monterey jack or sharp cheddar)
- Begin by heating the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat while you shred the squash (a food processor with a shredder attachment makes short work of this).
- Once the oil is hot, sauté the onions, garlic, and jalapenos, stirring regularly until the garlic and onions turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beans, squash, and spices and continue to cook over medium heat until most of the liquid from the squash has been cooked off, another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Toast the tortillas over a gas flame for a few seconds on each side or warm them in a microwave and fill each with ¼ of the filling, top with cheese and fold up.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream or any other garnishes and condiments you prefer.
Summer squash, beans and more feature in these vegetarian burritos, along with jalapeño, garlic, cumin, and other seasonings, so even though they are meat-free they are incredibly tasty, even for carnivores to have as a change of pace. The recipe is simple to follow, and these are lovely served piping hot with some salsa and fresh herbs over the top, like you can see in the picture, or with your favorite south of the border toppings. If you usually have chicken or beef burritos, try these for a change, and discover how summer squash and beans offers a deliciously different flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)