Spicy Blackberry Salsa Recipe
August is blackberry time in the Northern Hemisphere. These delicious purple-black gems of flavor are used for pie, preserves, cobbler, milkshakes, and eaten fresh. They can be added to pancakes, muffins, and sweet breads. But have you ever tried blackberry salsa? Our spectacular blackberry salsa recipe is spicy and sweet. It has numerous applications for snacks and desserts. You could even put it into little tart shells to enjoy.
There are lots of ways to serve this delicious salsa. Serve it over ice cream for a zesty dessert. It also goes well with pound cake or even chocolate cake. The peppers in the salsa actually bring out the best in chocolate. Dip shortbread cookies into the blackberry salsa. You are limited only by your imagination. Once you taste this spicy sweet salsa, you will wonder why you never tried it before. It brings a new meaning to fruit salsa when you make one for your desserts. It is really delicious.
If you do not have any fresh blackberries, you can use frozen fruit. They will be a little more delicate when you are mixing the ingredients together, so stir gently. If you are picking fresh blackberries, be aware the juice will stain your fingers and anything else they touch. Use fresh blackberries promptly. If you have more berries than you can easily use in a day or two, freeze them in batches so you can use them later. Freezing blackberries is very simple. Once you taste this recipe, you will want to keep plenty of blackberries on hand so you can enjoy this salsa frequently.
The first thing you need to do when making this is to boil some chipotle chilies in water, which might sound like a strange way to begin salsa, but it is essential to rehydrate them and make them juicy and soft again. The chipotle peppers are combined with serrano peppers, along with other spices and flavors, and then you can add the blackberries.
At this point begin stirring gently, so you can mix the ingredients together without crushing or breaking up the blackberries. The chocolate syrup and nuts go in next, and then you can serve this spicy, sweet mixture over ice cream, as a panna cotta topping, or you could even serve it with salted chips and enjoy the contrast.
- 2 chipotle peppers, dried
- 6 Serrano peppers, finely diced
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon ground oregano
- ½ cup water
- 12 ounces blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 cups pecans, chopped and toasted
- Place the chipotles in a saucepan.
- Cover them with water and bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let them boil for about 15 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Finely dice the rehydrated peppers and mix them with the Serranos, salt, sugars, cinnamon, oregano, and water in a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a slow boil.
- Let them cook until the mixture is slightly thickened (about 7 or 8 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add the blackberries and let them cook until they just begin to break apart.
- Do not let them disintegrate or you will lose the chunky texture in your salsa.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Stir in the chocolate syrup and pecans.
- Chill thoroughly before serving over ice cream.
Tasty and unique, this blackberry salsa features chilies, chocolate, nuts and more, making it versatile enough to serve as a dessert topping, like you see in the picture, as a side dish, or as a dip. If you like complex flavors, this blackberry salsa is sure to please your palate. It is easy to make, and the combination of sweet and spice works harmoniously. It can be difficult to imagine how this salsa is going to taste, but make it and you will certainly enjoy it, serving it over panna cotta, over vanilla ice cream, or even with chips as a dip.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119036 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (116921 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62859 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45514 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34342 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30173 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23900 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23237 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18699 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17131 Views)