Spicy Crockpot Bean Chili with Fresh Jalapeños
A lot of chili recipes are very similar. Although there are hundreds of different chili recipes to choose from, including plenty of vegetarian options, most of them do call for ground meat and/or beans, along with chili powder. What we are doing here though is slightly different. Instead of the chili powder we are using fresh chilies to give a fresh taste and plenty of spicy flavor to the mix. This makes a wonderful dinner and you can tweak the amount of chilies used, even the type.
We suggest using jalapeños here because they offer a spicy flavor without being too hot or masking the other flavors. Jalapeño chilies come in red or green and they are probably the most famous type of chili peppers. Ripe jalapeños can be up to 3½ inches in length and they are usually sold while they are still green. This pepper was named after Xalapa, a town in Veracruz, were it was traditionally grown. Other names for jalapeños in Mexico include cuaresmeños, chiles gordos and huachinangos. There are plenty of other names for them too, although north of the border they are simply known as jalapeños.
Most of these peppers are picked while they are green. They begin turning red as the growing season nears its end. Most red jalapeños are used in the production of chipotle peppers, because the green ones are believed to be superior. They give a lovely taste to our vegetarian chili recipe, adding a delicious bite to the flavor. Save some to garnish the finished dish, because they add a striking color to the presentation and let people know they are about to eat something spicy! You might want to serve sour cream on the side to contrast with heat.
Feel free to make any changes to the following recipe. If you prefer to use dried beans, soak them overnight first. If you want to use fresh tomatoes instead of canned ones, go ahead. Use yellow onion instead of green and red onion if you prefer. All you need to do is dump all the ingredients into your slow cooker and then let the chili cook. This is a wonderful recipe, especially on chilly evenings when you want something warming and comforting. Why not make some homemade skillet cornbread to serve with this tasty jalapeño chili recipe?
- 1 cup canned pinto beans
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans
- 1 cup canned black beans
- ½ chopped red onion
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 chopped red or green bell pepper
- 2 chopped red or green jalapeños
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 18 oz can tomato puree
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Extra chopped fresh jalapeños, for garnish (optional)
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Put all the ingredients in the crockpot.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Serve with cornbread or white rice.
- Add some jalapeño slices if you like, for a decorative, colorful presentation.
This colorful vegetarian chili is so easy to make. All you have to do is dump the ingredients into your slow cooker and flip the switch. When you get home from work 8 hours later your reward will be a healthy, nutritious and flavor-packed meal which is all ready to serve up to your hungry family. This recipe is highly tweak-able if you want to put your own stamp on it, and it goes with everything from sour cream and avocado slices to cornbread, white rice, or even a salad. If you usually make the same kind of chili, try this recipe instead and see how using fresh chilies instead of chili powder adds a new twist to this classic south of the border dish.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117380 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63207 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45759 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18948 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17647 Views)