Summer Mexican Pizza with Fresh Toppings
Pizza might be an Italian dish but you can ‘Mexican-ize’ it to perfection. Pizza might be a winter dish but you can add fresh salad type toppings to make it a wonderful treat for the summer months. Yes, pizza really is that versatile. Our Mexican pizza is made with readymade pizza dough for convenience but you can use a favorite recipe if you wish to make your own. All you need to do is roll it out on a floured countertop. Try whole wheat or regular white pizza dough, as you prefer, and make the pizza round, square, oval, or a rustic, uneven shape.
The sauce is made with a combination of black beans and tomatoes which sounds unusual but offers a delicious flavor, and is thick enough not to soak through the crust. You will then be adding mushrooms, red onion and 2 colors of bell pepper, along with some shredded cheese. Use Mexican blend cheese if you want, or some mozzarella or any other cheese which melts well. The pizza is then baked until done and then it is time to add your chosen toppings, such as avocado, radish, tomato, and cilantro, and you could also add some lime juice.
Serve the pizza with sour cream if you like or drizzle some creamy dressing over the pizza in a zigzag shape before serving. Some people like to crumble some crispy bacon over the pizza or add some guacamole to the sauce. Feel free to make it your own and you will end up with something not only tasty but unique too. The toppings are your choice but we recommend you choose fresh, locally grown produce for a fresh, delicious flavor. Expect a colorful meal with plenty of wonderful appeal in every bite and some true Mexican flavors.
This is delicious served with your favorite south of the border side dishes, such as a tossed green salad or corn on the cob with cilantro butter, or even something like chiles rellenos. If the weather is hot, serve this pizza warm instead of piping hot. Just let it sit for a while before serving, and ensure you heap plenty of fresh salad ingredients on top so it is more refreshing, not to mention nutritious. If you often buy or make the exact same pizza recipe, consider this delicious summery Mexican pizza to make a change and surprise the family.
- Readymade pizza dough
- 10 oz can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 16 oz can black beans
- 4 oz thinly sliced mushrooms
- ¼ thinly sliced red onion
- ½ thinly sliced red bell pepper
- ½ thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 deseeded, chopped fresh tomato
- 2 thinly sliced radishes
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out to make a 12-inch round.
- Drain the tomatoes and black beans, then combine them.
- Spread this mixture over the dough and top it with the cheese.
- Add the mushrooms, onion and bell pepper on the pizza.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- This will take about 12 minutes.
- Top with avocado, tomato, radish and/or cilantro.
- Add as a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and perhaps some sour cream too if you like.
There are countless toppings for pizza, but why not give this classic Italian recipe a fresh twist, adding Mexican toppings and flavors, combining these 2 cuisines to offer something brand new for your family to enjoy? Whether you are considering fusion food for Cinco de Mayo or another special occasion, or simply in the mood for something brand new, this recipe is well worth making. You can choose what kind of crust to use and also which toppings you are going to add to finish off your Mexican pizza. This colorful, appetizing pizza can also be spiced up with jalapeño slices if you want, or some red pepper flakes.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)