Sweet and Sour Mango Citrus Salsa
Mango salsa occupies a unique place among condiments. Even people who generally do not count themselves as fans of salsa can find something to like about these tropical fruit salsas, since they are a little different than the run of the mill tomato and jalapeno salsas which we’re all familiar with.
Like mango salsa, citrus salsa also tends to have a following among those who are ordinarily not big on spicy sauces of any kind; it seems that the sweetness of the fruit takes the edge off of the hot peppers, which are usually present. It is a great way to introduce newcomers to the pleasures of salsa as well, as formerly picky eaters graduate to other types of salsa.
This mango citrus salsa combines the best of all worlds, with delectable mango, orange and lime along with the cilantro and jalapeno usually found in salsa. This recipe, however, has one interesting twist: ginger. Offering some familiar flavors along with some less conventional ones, this salsa is sure to be a hit.
Unless you have made this exact recipe before, you will probably not be aware of just how amazing citrus, ginger and mango go with the cilantro and jalapeño found in many Mexican salsa recipes. Ginger is of course something which does not find its way into many salsas at all, while mango is only used in the sweetest, fruitiest ones.
This recipe takes you quite far from the classic tomato salsa, and into a whole new world of fusion salsas and experimental ones. If you want to make a fruity condiment, something like chutney or relish but with undeniable Mexican undertones, and you have all the ingredients called for here, this is a worthwhile salsa which goes with all kinds of food including fish, meat and chips to name just a few.
- 1 navel orange
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely (adjust to taste)
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (if fresh ginger is unavailable, simply omit – powdered ginger won’t work in this recipe)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Start by zesting the orange, lemon, and lime, reserving the zest in a bowl.
- Remove the pith (the white, bitter membrane between the peel and the fruit) from the citrus and chop into medium-sized pieces (making 2 or 3 pieces of each segment).
- Chop the bell pepper, mango, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro and add to the citrus, then season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Refrigerate overnight if possible, though it can be served as little as 2-4 hours in the refrigerator.
This habanero mango salsa pairs well with chicken, or even Cornish hen, like you can see in the picture. Pairing such a complex tasting salsa with something relatively plain in comparison is always a good idea, so you do not risk any flavor clashes. Simple grilled chicken goes with pretty much any kind of salsa actually, and similar can be said about simple poached, baked, fried or grilled fish filets. If you are more of a ‘salsa and chips’ fan then serve this tasty fruit salsa with your favorite tortilla chips or corn chips instead, for a new twist on the classic party snack.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119454 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117441 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63256 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45797 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34659 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23456 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17717 Views)