Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Tomato Salsa
Tomatoes, onions, and chili peppers are not the only ingredients which belong in salsa. It is in fact a very flexible thing, which can take on any number of different interpretations – and with them, a great many different ingredients. For instance, pineapple.
In this recipe, pineapple steps in along with the usual tomatoes, onions, and peppers and it is a winning combination. The slight sweetness that the salsa gains from the fruit balances well thanks to the acidity of pineapple along with that of the tomatoes and limes; this pineapple tomato salsa incorporates a little more lime juice than you will find in many other salsa recipes.
Also featured here are red bell peppers and a somewhat lesser degree of heat than you may be used to if you are a dedicated salsa fan. However, this of course may be adjusted if you prefer – and this is one salsa which has so much flavor that you may not miss the heat.
While it will not keep for an extended period of time, this is a recipe which you may want to double. Once your family and friends try your new pineapple salsa recipe, you might find it disappearing faster than you had anticipated – it is not likely that you will find yourself facing a lot of leftovers with this recipe.
The pineapple is your main ingredient, and the other ingredients back it up, the tomato, onion and bell pepper offering color as well as neutral accents, and the jalapeño, lime and cilantro adding charming Mexican flavors to the salsa. The result is something beautifully balanced which matches all kinds of dishes, adding a touch of flavor, color and Mexican charm to whatever you serve it with. Peeling and coring the pineapple is the thing that will take the most time, and then you simply have to combine your ingredients to blend the flavors.
- 1 ½ cup pineapple, chopped (fresh is definitely preferable to canned here)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano chili, chopped finely (feel free to use more as desired)
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped finely
- Juice of two limes (again, fresh is best)
- Salt, to taste
- Salsa tends to be a relatively easy thing to make and this pineapple tomato salsa is no exception.
- Of course, you will need to allow yourself slightly more time to prepare this one, given that you will most likely need to peel and core your pineapple as well as chopping all of the other ingredients for the recipe.
- Try to give yourself enough time to allow the salsa to rest and develop its flavor for at least an hour or two before serving – overnight in the refrigerator is even better, however.
- Despite its slight sweetness, pineapple tomato salsa is a surprisingly versatile thing, which goes as well with chips and tortillas as it does with pork, fish, and other meats.
- In fact, it makes a great match for almost any dish you could conceive of serving it with (and more than likely, plenty, which you would not have imagined as well).
Pineapple salsa is lovely served with swordfish, tuna or another favorite fish. It would also work with king prawns or langoustines, or even served with chicken or pork. If you prefer to add some to a baby leaf salad or even top your hamburger with it, go ahead, because this is really versatile and will work just fine with any of those dishes. In the picture the salsa is served with seared tuna. The pineapple can be switched for mango, for a different flavor, but ensure you use fresh pineapple for the most authentic result. Mexicans adore working with fresh produce because it tastes much nicer.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119407 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117396 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63217 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34626 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30375 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17661 Views)