Sweet Onion Salsa Canning Recipe
Salsa is something that we usually think of as prepared fresh and eaten the same way; after all, most salsa recipes are prepared only a few hours ahead of time or perhaps the day before they are served, and very few of these recipes call for cooking any of the ingredients.
However, there are exceptions to every rule and with interest in canning once again on the rise, there are plenty of people out there who are interested in learning how to make their own salsa and can it for use later on. Especially if you happen to have a garden and find yourself with a surplus of vegetables in the late summer and early fall, canning can be a great way to preserve some of your garden’s bounty for later – and if you’re a salsa fan, then there’s nothing better than this sweet onion salsa canning recipe.
Like other canning recipes, you will be making a much larger quantity than you normally would, since you will be making the whole batch for later. In order to discourage the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms, which can cause spoilage, this is a cooked salsa recipe. Cooked or fresh, when you are enjoying your own homemade salsa in the dead of winter, you will pat yourself on the back for having made this delicious sweet onion salsa.
Although enjoying freshly made salsa is always great and it does not take long to make, at other times canned salsa makes sense – not the poor quality kind you get from the grocery store of course, but the kind you can make yourself. Because canning keeps food fresh for a long time, canned salsa can be described as ‘fresh’ too, just like the salsa you have made and served at once.
Canning salsa means you can grab a jar any time you want to enjoy this lovely treat without having to make it from scratch. So follow this recipe and make your own canned salsa. You can enjoy it yourself or even give some to friends and/or family as gifts.
- 5 lbs Roma tomatoes, diced
- 5-6 large sweet onions (Vidalia, Walla Walla, etc.)
- 5-6 jalapeno peppers, diced (you may also use Serrano peppers)
- 3 red bell peppers, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Though this recipe is not quite as simple as an uncooked salsa, it is pretty close other than time needed to prepare.
- Simply add all of your ingredients (except for the lime juice, you will be adding that a little later) to a large, non-reactive pan and simmer for about an hour until the salsa thickens.
- Add the lime juice at around the 40-minute mark; too long of a simmer can bring out some unpleasant astringency in the juice.
- Once the salsa is finished, seal in canning jars while hot or refrigerate and use, if you are not actually
Learning how to make your own canned salsa is worthwhile because you can make a big batch of this gorgeous Mexican sauce and have some to hand whenever you want to add some to tacos, fajitas or a sandwich. Perhaps you want some salsa with your Mexican salad or even on top of a cheeseburger. This is a versatile condiment which you can make from fresh and eat or make from fresh and can, for longer-lasting results. This is a great recipe if you like to can foods because the resulting salsa tastes really good.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)