Tex-Mex Crockpot Vegetarian Quinoa Lentil Chili
As a vegetarian it is important to incorporate lentils and legumes into your diet so you still get plenty of protein to keep the carbohydrates in balance. And sometimes it may seem hard to figure out ways to accomplish this and still stay true to your choice to go meatless. This choice however doesn’t mean you are stuck with bland tasteless dishes as you will see in the following recipe we go vegetarian for the night and still serve up a dish that my house of men can get behind and not leave them wondering what mom is trying to pull on them.
As a mother I am always trying to make sure my guys get exposed to many different foods and other possibilities as guys can get a little stuck in the basic pizza and burger mode and forget the fact that diet needs to be balanced. So one of the things I am always on the lookout for is recipes that are going to satisfy their need for meat with my need to get them to eat balanced.
One of the ways I do that is through using bold and tasty recipes that you do not even miss the meat in. This is such a recipe. If you have that challenge in your home try using this one on them as a defense and see what I mean. I mean my guys love Mexican food and usually that means meat to them but this chili is so nicely blended with so many different taste that it is welcome even meatless.
Now it uses quinoa and if you haven’t tried it yet it is heavenly. It offers so much good and not that many people know about it yet but it really is a way to fill out a chili recipe with some filling flavor. So I hope I have shown that just because you have made a choice to remove meat for your meal or life there are still loads of possibilities out there that will make it so you never even miss it. My step dad is a vegetarian so I am always thinking of him whenever I develop one of these recipes (I also have a built in critic) and I try to part each dish with the love I have of him.
- 1 15 ounce can tomatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 15 ounce can Bush's Best Chili Beans-- pinto beans in mild chili sauce
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Mexican blend cheese, shredded (optional)
- Few sprigs fresh cilantro
- In a skillet add a bit of olive oil and sauté the onions, and garlic until translucent transfer to the crockpot.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in the crockpot and mix well.
- Set crockpot to low and cook for eight hours.
- Ladle into individual serving bowl and top with a dollop of sour cream (if using) and a sprig of fresh cilantro. Also you can sprinkle some Mexican blend cheese on top before this if using it (optional). Also some fine diced chili if you want to impart a little more heat into the dish.
Now in my house of guys a recipe like this has to be good or it doesn’t even stand a chance. I mean no meat I have a five guy mutiny on my hands and the older two are looking at roasting a twin,(joking they would never). But seriously I love playing with veggie nights and showing them that just because it didn’t once walk doesn’t mean it can’t taste good and make a wonderful meal. This chili is such a recipe it has so much good in the quinoa and lentils they hardly even noticed it was void of meat, win for mom.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119405 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117389 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30372 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)