Tex-Mex Refried Beans with Cheese
I know you can get refried beans in a can but they are loaded with stuff I’m sure you can’t even pronounce let alone name. Also did you know it is really easy to make your own without all those chemicals in them that taste so much better? In this recipe I use the crockpot – mommy’s little helper and you know I love giving you recipes that are as easy to make as they are good tasting. Now many recipes out there use water to cook their beans in but in this recipe I use a combination of vegetable broth and Mexican beer to impart the beans with loads of flavor that plain water cannot do.
It is an old trick used in the cooking of rice especial Spanish and Italian rice dishes like paella and risotto. These dishes take on a lot of flavor from the liquid they are cooked in and I wanted my beans to be vegetarian friendly so the vegetable broth. If that isn’t important to you, you could use beef or chicken broth for a different flavor. Either will work but I wanted to stick to vegetable. Also I use Mexican beer for a distinct Mexican flavor just remember to use a good quality one you enjoy drinking so there will be no waste. I used Corona in mine but you can use any Mexican beer you like.
Many Tex-Mex and Mexican dishes are often served with Mexican rice and refried beans to balance them out and make the meal more filling. You can serve this up with rice if you like and any Mexican or Tex-Mex dish you happen to like it is very versatile. That is the beauty of refried beans they are a natural side dish to so many Mexican entrees you will not have a hard time deciding to serve these with it more so what to serve it with.
I am really liking doing this category on the site it is very freeing, opening up to new dishes and possibilities on the site. I hope I am showing you that once you lose the hang up over labels all kinds of food possibilities open up and the bottom-line is they have all been so yummy who cares what you call them. I almost thought of leaving the title off this post and letting you guys pick what to call it but I figure just plain good wasn’t very search friendly. The fact of the matter is I really can’t have ten post called that it just wouldn’t work. Especial when someone ordered a number two sorry mommy humor.
- For the Drunken Refried Beans:
- 1 pound pinto beans dried, rinsed and inspected for foreign material
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup Mexican beer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper, or to taste
- Rinse beans thoroughly under cold water.
- Add to the crockpot and add the liquid the beans should be covered by about two inches of liquid if not add a bit more broth.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Set the crockpot to high and cook for about 7 hours (approximately crockpot temperatures vary) until the majority of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Using a potato masher mash beans until the consistency of refried beans, they should still have some bean chunks and serve by transferring to plates and adding a bit of cheese and zapping in microwave until cheese is melted.
Traditionally most recipe authors use water for their refried beans but this recipe imparts extra flavor in the form of broth and Mexican beer for a more robust tasting refried bean recipe. Now I do use the crockpot because I wanted to show you that good homemade refried beans don’t have to be a lot of work and in fact can be as easy as opening a can especial if doing so manually. So put away your can opener and grab your slow cooker instead and in a few hours have wonderful fresh homemade refried beans that are loaded with flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119405 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117389 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30372 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)