Tomato and Green Chili Salad
Every great meal needs a side dish; and of course, a great Mexican meal demands a side dish with flavors which match up to those of the entrée. Salad is always a great choice and fortunately for cooks who enjoy preparing Mexican cuisine at home, there are plenty of Mexican and Tex-Mex style salad recipes to choose from.
This salad uses a classic southwestern ingredient: mild green chilies. In this case, they are roasted Anaheim or Poblano peppers rather than the New Mexico variety. They are teamed up here with the flavors of oregano, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro along with cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers. It is a refreshing salad with just enough spice to keep things interesting and both a great accompaniment to Mexican dinners as well as a great light lunch in its own right.
Feel free to add other vegetables to this tomato and green chili salad recipe as you see fit; as long as the tomatoes and chilies are allowed to shine, you can make all kinds of minor changes to the formula while still keeping the dominant flavors of the salad intact.
This salad is very easy to make, yet impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. It is also good enough that you will want to make it at every opportunity. The flavors of the ingredients blend perfectly in this tomato and green chili salad to create the perfect dish to go along with any Mexican meal – or really, any entrée at all where the flavors of mild, roasted green chilies, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro will not be out of place. This is a salad which can go with almost anything; and you might find yourself making this Mexican tomato salad a lot more often than you think.
- 6 medium to large tomatoes
- 3 large Poblano or Anaheim chilies, roasted and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup oil
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp oregano (use Mexican oregano if it is available)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- The most difficult part of making this tomato and green chili salad recipe is roasting the peppers (do not worry; it is not very hard to do this).
- If you have a gas stove, roast the peppers directly over a flame on the stovetop, using tongs to turn the peppers.
- Roast until the peppers are blistered and begin to blacken on all sides, then transfer them to a paper bag and close tightly.
- Allow the peppers to steam themselves in the bag for a few minutes, and then rinse under cold running water – the skins of the peppers will rub off easily.
- Once the peppers are roasted, remove their stems, seeds, and dice, along with the onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, and cilantro.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl with oregano, olive oil and lime juice and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Let the salad refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving, if possible.
Comparable to a type of pico de gallo, but with larger pieces, this salad offers a range of wonderful flavors for your palate to enjoy. You might find some of the ingredients, namely the tomato, cucumber and onion, in other salad recipes, and not necessarily Mexican ones, but what really adds to the south of the border flavor is the chilies, lime, cilantro, and oregano. These ingredients combine and then the salad is allowed to marinate to allow the flavors to blend and mellow out. The photo shows some of the ingredients used to make the dish. Serve this salad as a side dish with meat or fish, or have it for lunch, perhaps with a tortilla on the side.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63207 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45757 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18948 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17647 Views)