Tomato, Onion and Cilantro Salsa
As you are probably already aware, salsa has long since taken the top spot among condiments at tables all over America. There is no doubt that salsa is a popular accompaniment with many meals (including some decidedly non-Mexican dishes) and becoming more so all the time. While there are many different tomato salsas to choose from in grocery stores, like anything else, the results are always better when you can make it yourself.
This recipe is for a very basic tomato, onion, and cilantro salsa, which goes well with almost anything. The bright acidity of the tomato and lime juice matches perfectly with the bite of the onion, the heat of the jalapeno or Serrano peppers and the herbal tang of the cilantro to create a classic tomato salsa.
It’s easy to make and takes very little time to prepare; as long as you have all of the necessary ingredients on hand, this salsa can be made in as little as five minutes (though like any salsa, it improves if allowed to sit a few hours or overnight for the flavors to blend.
This is one of those simple, all-purpose, but oh-so-delicious recipes that you will probably find yourself actually looking for excuses to make and serve – not that you need any excuse to enjoy salsa, especially when it is this good. Whether with Mexican dishes, served as a dip with chips or along with any meat or vegetable dish, this is a classic go-to salsa. It is a salsa that you will even love along with scrambled eggs and other savory breakfast dishes. This recipe is also easy to adjust to meet your tolerance for hot peppers – simply use more or less peppers as desired to match the tastes of yourself or your guests.
Typical salsa ingredients like tomatoes, onion, chilies, cilantro, and lime come together to make this exquisite-tasting dish, and you will find it goes perfectly with all kinds of dishes. Adjust the flavors if you want, adding more cilantro perhaps or cutting back on the chilies, or else make it exactly as detailed below.
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1-2 jalapeno or Serrano chili, diced
- ? cup cilantro, chopped finely
- Juice of one lime
- Salt, black pepper and cumin, to taste
- This recipe makes approximately four cups of salsa
- Salsa is usually a pretty easy thing to make and this tomato salsa recipe is no exception.
- All you need to do here is chop your ingredients, mix them together and then taste and adjust your seasonings until you are satisfied with the end result.
- Refrigerate the salsa and allow it to rest for at least an hour if possible for the flavors to develop before serving.
- Overnight is even better, but if you are pressed for time, an hour will do.
Fresh and delicious, this homemade salsa features fresh produce like tomatoes, onions, chilies, cilantro and lime juice. Made from fresh ingredients only, how could this be anything other than exquisite? Brightly colored and aromatic, this salsa is simple to make because you only have to combine the ingredients, and you can see how attractive it is in this photo. Roma tomatoes are pictured here but you can use any kind you wish. Vine-ripened tomatoes cost a few cents more but they are extra aromatic and well worth using to make this.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)