Tomato Salsa with Fruit Recipe
Classic tomato salsa is a wonderful thing, no doubt about it. It is a staple at snacks and meals and there is admittedly a lot of variety even within this single subcategory of salsa. However, sometimes you cannot resist trying to improve on a classic. While the results may not ever supplant the original, there are undeniably some variations on this tried and true theme, which are well worth making.
For example many cooks enjoy mixing things up by adding some different ingredients to their salsa, such as in the following tomato salsa with fruit recipe. This recipe adds peaches, pineapple, and tart green apple to the usual blend of tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno peppers, with spectacular results.
Bursting with fresh fruit flavors which perfectly complement the tomatoes and other, more traditional salsa ingredients, it is hard to imagine anyone not loving this salsa. It may not become your standby tortilla chip dipping salsa, but as a change of pace from the usual, this tomato salsa with fruit recipe is one well worth trying out.
Apart from a tiny pinch each of cumin and sugar, every ingredient in this salsa recipe is fresh, and that always offers a Mexican flair. Mexican cooks are proud of using good quality, locally sourced, and above all, fresh, produce. Fresh is the name of the game if you want an authentic south of the border result, regardless of which dish you are making, a salsa or something else.
You might save a couple of minutes by popping open a can of something rather than peeling and dicing its fresh equivalent, but you will also be sacrificing flavor, so use fresh wherever possible, and that applies not only to this salsa but to pretty much every recipe on this site! If you are into fresh fruits and vegetables though, or just keen on eating more or getting the family to eat more, this is a fabulous recipe. Nobody can resist fresh produce when it is combined in this way, with chili, lime and cumin, to add a terrific taste, and a nice bowl of crunchy chips on the side.
- 1 peach, peeled and diced
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and diced (optionally, you may peel it as well)
- 1 cup pineapple, diced (fresh is better, but canned will do)
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (adjust quantity to taste)
- Juice of 2 limes
- ½ tsp cumin
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- This tomato salsa with fruit recipe involves a little more prep time than some other salsas, but don’t let that discourage you; it’s actually pretty easy to make.
- Start by peeling the peach and pineapple (if you are using fresh pineapple) and coring the apple.
- Dice the fruit and add to a large bowl.
- Dice the onion, tomato, and jalapeno and add to the fruit.
- Squeeze the limes over the salsa, add cumin, sugar, and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Refrigerate the salsa for a few hours or overnight before serving, since this will greatly improve the flavor – though it is OK to have a little right away if you just cannot wait.
Salsa recipes vary, as you know, and you can get classic tomato salsa, fruity salsa, and all kinds of modern twists on this dish, but this recipe is something brand new. Not only is it made with all the ingredients you would expect in classic salsa, like the tomatoes, cilantro and onion, but there are both sweet fruits and tart fruits in the mix too, to add more dimensions to the flavor and offer a perfect harmony between the sweet and the savory, the mild and the spicy. This is made with lots of different fresh ingredients so you can expect the most amazing flavor whether you serve this as a dip for chips or garnish your next grilled fish filet or chicken breast with it.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63206 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34617 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23424 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17647 Views)