Tropical Fruit Salsa Recipe
Fruit can make for great salsa, and especially so when the fruit in question is of the tropical variety. Mango has become a particularly popular fruit for salsa, making a great ingredient for habanero-laced Caribbean style salsas. This tropical fruit salsa includes the ever popular mango as well as another popular tropical fruit: papaya.
The papaya plays a very important role in this salsa recipe, providing a cooling counterpoint to the heat of the jalapeno peppers and the tanginess of the mango and lime. It also makes this salsa a perfect accompaniment to grilled fish and meats as well as an ideal partner for tortilla chips, especially on a warm summer’s day.
If you love mango and papaya, this is one tropical fruit salsa recipe you cannot afford to be without. The sweetness and juiciness of the fruit along with the bite of the peppers, onion, and cilantro is a combination, which simply cannot be beat.
You do not need that many ingredients for this recipe and you probably already have at least some of them. Perhaps you have found your way to this recipe because you have some tropical fruit to use up and you are looking for something unusual to do with them. Fresh papaya and mango are great enjoyed as a snack or dessert just as they are or perhaps with some whipped cream or yogurt, but this recipe captures those sweet flavors they are famed for, adding contrasting ingredients to create something brand new.
A lot of modern salsa recipes combine both sweet and savory ingredients and then add citrus, herbs and spices for extra flavor, so you will end up with something both complex and well-balanced. Salsas like this always disappear fast but the good news is you can rustle up a new batch if your first batch gets eaten too quickly.
- 1 cup papaya, peeled and diced
- ½ cup mango, peeled and diced
- 1 small white or red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp cilantro, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno (or more, if you prefer a hotter salsa), diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- A pinch of sugar
- Even with a comparatively large list of ingredients for a simple fruit salsa recipe, this salsa is a very easy one.
- Peel and dice the mango and papaya (take care to scoop out the seeds from the papaya and to cut around the large seed in the mango).
- Dice the onion, jalapeno and chop the cilantro.
- Combine the fruit, peppers, onions, and cilantro in a bowl and add lime juice, salt and a pinch of sugar.
- Refrigerate for two to four hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend together.
- As good as this tropical fruit salsa recipe is, do not make too much at once, since it does not keep well for more than a day or two – you will just have to make more once you have a hankering for this mouthwatering fruit salsa again.
Papaya and mango salsa is an exotic name, and it perfectly suits this exotic dish. Contrasting with the fruit you have onion, cilantro and jalapeño and, of course, a nice splash of lime juice to tie all the flavors together. Let the finished salsa sit for a few hours so all the flavors can mellow out and blend, and then it is time to serve this gourmet treat with chips, fish, chicken, or whatever else you like. Taste this before and after letting it sit, and you will see what we mean about the flavor being better after doing that.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119401 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63205 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34617 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23424 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17644 Views)