Fajitas are a favorite of many people who enjoy Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine. They are easy to prepare and of course, easy to love as well. They can be made with grilled meat and onions along with sautéed peppers or with all of the ingredients prepared on the stovetop instead; they are delicious either way, but of course, if you are able to grill your ingredients, your fajitas will be even more enjoyable.
Now of course, not all fajitas need to include meat; for instance, check out this vegetarian fajita recipe. It still features the robust, deep flavors of grilled (or roasted, if you do not have a grill) bell peppers, onions and in the place of meat, seitan.
In case you are unfamiliar with seitan, this is a food made from wheat, consisting almost solely of the protein (gluten) in the grain. It makes a wonderful meat substitute, especially for dishes which call for beef or pork. For this recipe, we will assume you are using premade seitan which is already seasoned; it is not all that hard to make your own, in case you were wondering, but that is a subject for another day – for now, our focus is on these amazing vegetarian fajitas.
It is hard to go wrong with fajitas; and especially with these satisfying vegetarian seitan fajitas, everyone at your table will want to go back for seconds – and thirds, so you may actually want to double the recipe if you will be serving more than four people or if you and your guests are especially hungry. Fajitas have a way of disappearing fast; and while they are definitely best eaten hot as soon as they are prepared, few Mexican food lovers will say no to reheated leftovers either. If you have never had seitan or any other meat substitutes before, this fajitas recipe makes a great introduction to the world of vegetarian recipes.
- 8 large (fajita-size) flour or whole wheat tortillas
- 1 package (12-16 oz) seitan, preferably beef-style, cut into strips or small chunks
- 1 large green bell pepper and 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- Salsa, lime wedges, diced jalapeno, chopped cilantro or guacamole, for garnish
- Oil for sautéing
- If you are lucky enough to have a grill, then start by getting the fire going while you chop your ingredients.
- If you will be grilling, then dice your ingredients; if you are going to sauté things instead, then you will want to slice them into strips instead.
- If you are grilling, simply grill the seitan, peppers and onion until the peppers and onion soften and slightly caramelize.
- If you are sautéing instead, (and you may want to sauté the peppers in either case so that you can have them in the traditional strips rather than shorter, wider pieces suitable for grilling) then simply sauté with a little olive or vegetable oil over medium heat until tender.
- Once your ingredients are grilled or sautéed to perfection, then serve with warm tortillas, salsa, chopped cilantro, lime wedges and jalapeno and guacamole or any other condiments and garnishes of your choice.
Although fajitas are often made with steak, chicken or, in some cases, seafood or fish, there is no reason why you cannot swap that kind of protein for seitan, a meaty vegetarian option. Combined with peppers and onion, as well as all your favorite Mexican toppings (think lime juice, salsa, grated cheese, sour cream, or anything else you like) this makes a lovely meal. You can add some pico de gallo (finely diced tomato and cucumber) on top, and you can see some in the photo, or how about some finely diced jalapeños for heat, sour cream for a nice contrast, or even black olives for an unusual touch?
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)